Letter: Can any Leavers answer me this?
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Here's a question for the next time you are in conversation with a confirmed Brexiteer.
Ask them how being in the EU, has in concrete terms, restricted their lifestyle or made them materially poorer. Not how it has adversely affected some unspecified people somewhere else or people in a survey organised by the Daily Express, but how it has specifically adversely affected them.
If they answer that they will be free again on Brexit Day, ask them what it is they will specifically be free to do. I think you will find 99% of the answers incoherent at best.
It is also a fact that I have yet to meet a single Brit who claims to be out of work due to the dreaded EU migrants. Support for Brexit is based on an ideology, but is not based on pragmatic facts.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Susanna Reid takes on Priti Patel over government's gaslighting of public on coronavirus
- 2 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 3 Brexiteer musician accused of hypocrisy after demanding No 10 help bands with EU visa
- 4 PMQs: Ben Bradshaw calls out Boris Johnson over Brexit lies
- 5 Priti Patel fails to appear in Commons to answer questions on missing police records
- 6 Kwasi Kwarteng confirms post-Brexit review of workers' rights
- 7 Piers Morgan calls on Priti Patel to resign over missing crime records fiasco
- 8 Iain Duncan Smith defends calling Donald Trump 'a decent man'
- 9 The bigot we should have called out on day one
- 10 GB News seeks to hire Nick Ferrari and Julia Hartley-Brewer to present on new channel
• Send your letters for publication in The New European via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.