A Remain MP just delivered a Brexit speech in the style of “Trainspotting”
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
'Choose Brexit,' SNP MP Hannah Bardell. 'Choose making up numbers from thin air about the NHS and plastering them on the side of buses.'
SNP MP Hannah Bardell delivered a biting alternative version of the famous Trainspotting opening speech.
Speaking at the Article 50 debate in the House of Commons, Bardell channelled Ewan McGregor in the film Trainspotting to attack the government's plan for a Hard Brexit and express her concern over leaving the EU following the EU referendum.
Read Hannah Bardell's Brexit Trainspotting speech in full:
You may also want to watch:
'Choose Brexit. Choose making up numbers from thin air about the NHS and plastering them on the side of buses. Choose racist and xenophobic sentiments seeping out from some corners of the Leave campaign.
'Choose hate crime rising by over 40% and LGBT hate crime by 150% in England and Wales following the Brexit vote. Choose taking the people of our nations to the polls on one of the most important issues of a generation with nothing written down and no plan.
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 3 Who's on the BBC's Question Time tonight?
- 4 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 5 Fool's gold? Nigel Farage wants you to invest your trust in his financial advice service
- 6 The deep roots of Dominic Cummings' personal antipathy to the BBC
- 7 Tory MP who voted against her own party to support free school meals motion quits government in protest
- 8 'Shameful' Tory minister defends government memo attacking Marcus Rashford's free school meals call
- 9 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
- 10 Political commentator delivers blistering response to Tory backbenchers offended by Angela Rayner's slur
'Choose ignoring the interests of the people of Scotland and my constituents in Livingston despite the fact they voted overwhelmingly to Remain in the EU. Choose leaving the single market, risking 80,000 Scottish jobs within a decade and costing the people of Scotland an average of £2,000 a year in wages.
'Choose lowering Scotland's GDP by more than £10 billion and Scotland's exports by more than £5 billion. Choose vital EU worker status being under threat with widespread uncertainty to family, businesses, and the economy.
'Choose risking our international standing in the academic research and innovation communities as we lose access to funding, expertise, and people in the EU. Choose walking away from the European medicine association without any detail or thought of the impact.
'Choose the great Brexit power grab, taking back control of straight bananas. Choose returning to the Thatcher era of poverty and austerity. Choose the UK turning its back on Europe. These, Mr Speaker, are not the choices that the Scottish people made.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.