Alastair Campbell expelled from Labour Party after voting Lib Dem
- Credit: Archant
Alastair Campbell has said that he is 'disappointed' to have been expelled from the Labour party, after the Remain campaigner publicly announced he voted for the Liberal Democrats in the EU elections.
The former Labour comms chief, and The New European's editor-at-large, said he his seeking legal advice.
He tweeted that he is particularly disappointed by it "on a day leadership finally seems to be moving to the right place on Brexit, not least thanks to tactical voting by party members".
READ: 'Let's get on with it' - Labour frontbencher says People's Vote only option left on Brexit"I have been advised by lawyers with expertise in this field I have grounds for appeal against expulsion and shall do so," he added.
Campbell, an outspoken supporter of the People's Vote campaign, had said on LBC: "I voted for the Liberal Democrats.
"But I am not a Liberal Democrat.
You may also want to watch:
"I am a Labour Party supporter and I voted because I think Labour need to get the message."
In his Twitter thread, Campbell added that he is "and always will be" a Labour supporter, and argued that there is plenty of precedent for people voting outside the party without expulsion. "[It's] hard not to point out difference in the way anti-Semitism cases have been handled," he added.
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 3 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 4 Fool's gold? Nigel Farage wants you to invest your trust in his financial advice service
- 5 The deep roots of Dominic Cummings' personal antipathy to the BBC
- 6 Who's on the BBC's Question Time tonight?
- 7 Tory MP who voted against her own party to support free school meals motion quits government in protest
- 8 'Shameful' Tory minister defends government memo attacking Marcus Rashford's free school meals call
- 9 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
- 10 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
Labour MP Jess Phillips agreed, pointing out that a Holocaust denier in her local party has still only been suspended.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.