Alastair Campbell joins The New European as editor-at-large
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
The New European has announced that Alastair Campbell is joining its editorial board as Editor-at-Large.
Alastair will help shape editorial policy, provide advice to the paper's Editor Matt Kelly, and contribute to and commission regularly for the paper.
Matt Kelly, Editor, The New European, said: 'I am thrilled he has finally agreed to become the paper's Editor-at-Large. He has been a huge supporter of ours from day one because we believe the same thing – that leaving the EU will do real damage to the country, and we cannot roll over and let Theresa May and the right-wing media cartel drive Britain over a cliff.
'We are especially excited because unlike some other recent high profile editorial appointments, Alastair also happens to be a genuine and proven journalistic talent, which has got to be an advantage. He was political editor of the Daily and Sunday Mirror, and assistant editor (politics) at Today before joining Tony Blair in 1994, and is now GQ chief interviewer and a columnist for the International Business Times, as well as a best-selling author. The New European will be paying Alastair for his work for us, but at his insistence it will be 'a lot less than George Osborne gets for any of his job'.'
Alastair Campbell, Editor-at-Large, The New European said: 'The New European has been one of the few good things to emerge from the EU Referendum. I have done my bit to help the paper get off the ground, and now I intend to do a lot more to show that the Brextremist Lie Machine can be defeated, and the real national interest pursued, as opposed to the disastrous hard Brexit route Mrs May has chosen. I know that right now, we are in a minority in thinking Brexit can be stopped. But I am sure we are not in a minority in thinking it could well lead to disaster, and as the government head further down the route to the post Article 50 cliff edge, I believe the country can, must and will change its mind about the decision taken last year. The New European has a vital role to play in countering the lies of the Brextremist papers, and in challenging both the government and the other parties over their handling of this, the most important issue of our lifetime.'
You may also want to watch:
Alastair has written for The New European regularly since it began in July. Most notably in September 2016, The New European secured the exclusive serialisation rights to the latest volume of Alastair's diaries.
Alastair has secured pieces for the paper from figures as varied as Tony Blair, Martin McGuinness, Dave Brailsford and many others including, in this coming Friday's paper, an exclusive article written by Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon.
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Who's on the BBC's Question Time tonight?
- 3 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 4 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 5 Fool's gold? Nigel Farage wants you to invest your trust in his financial advice service
- 6 Tory MP who voted against her own party to support free school meals motion quits government in protest
- 7 'Shameful' Tory minister defends government memo attacking Marcus Rashford's free school meals call
- 8 Political commentator delivers blistering response to Tory backbenchers offended by Angela Rayner's slur
- 9 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
- 10 The harsh truths learned from halt in Brexit talks
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.