Alastair Campbell joins The New European as editor-at-large
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
The New European has announced that Alastair Campbell is joining its editorial board as Editor-at-Large.
Alastair will help shape editorial policy, provide advice to the paper's Editor Matt Kelly, and contribute to and commission regularly for the paper.
Matt Kelly, Editor, The New European, said: 'I am thrilled he has finally agreed to become the paper's Editor-at-Large. He has been a huge supporter of ours from day one because we believe the same thing – that leaving the EU will do real damage to the country, and we cannot roll over and let Theresa May and the right-wing media cartel drive Britain over a cliff.
'We are especially excited because unlike some other recent high profile editorial appointments, Alastair also happens to be a genuine and proven journalistic talent, which has got to be an advantage. He was political editor of the Daily and Sunday Mirror, and assistant editor (politics) at Today before joining Tony Blair in 1994, and is now GQ chief interviewer and a columnist for the International Business Times, as well as a best-selling author. The New European will be paying Alastair for his work for us, but at his insistence it will be 'a lot less than George Osborne gets for any of his job'.'
Alastair Campbell, Editor-at-Large, The New European said: 'The New European has been one of the few good things to emerge from the EU Referendum. I have done my bit to help the paper get off the ground, and now I intend to do a lot more to show that the Brextremist Lie Machine can be defeated, and the real national interest pursued, as opposed to the disastrous hard Brexit route Mrs May has chosen. I know that right now, we are in a minority in thinking Brexit can be stopped. But I am sure we are not in a minority in thinking it could well lead to disaster, and as the government head further down the route to the post Article 50 cliff edge, I believe the country can, must and will change its mind about the decision taken last year. The New European has a vital role to play in countering the lies of the Brextremist papers, and in challenging both the government and the other parties over their handling of this, the most important issue of our lifetime.'
You may also want to watch:
Alastair has written for The New European regularly since it began in July. Most notably in September 2016, The New European secured the exclusive serialisation rights to the latest volume of Alastair's diaries.
Alastair has secured pieces for the paper from figures as varied as Tony Blair, Martin McGuinness, Dave Brailsford and many others including, in this coming Friday's paper, an exclusive article written by Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon.
- 1 European parliament agrees to add British overseas territories to post-Brexit tax haven blacklist
- 2 Pro-Brexit fishing campaigner says Boris Johnson's deal has left her with 'no fish'
- 3 Minister terminates interview after suggesting public's age and weight to blame for UK's high death toll
- 4 This picture of Boris Johnson on the phone to Joe Biden has caused a stir
- 5 Telegraph columnist blames Angela Merkel for Brexit
- 6 Boris Johnson to visit Scotland this week in attempt to shore up the union
- 7 Brexiteer calls for UK to save Eurostar - by buying it and renaming it 'Britstar'
- 8 Petition launched to cancel 'festival of Brexit' event in 2022
- 9 Brussels to launch campaign teaching younger Britons about the EU
- 10 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.