‘Scared Brexiteers don’t want another vote – we’d win’
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Remainer-in-chief Alastair Campbell has blasted Brexiteers for being 'terrified' of a People's Vote – because they would lose.
Speaking on Good Morning Britain, Campbell addressed claims that a People's Vote on any Brexit deal was undemocratic.
He said: 'This idea that it is anti-democratic for the country to vote in a certain way and then have this long, torturous, messy process where the politicians are screwing it up left, right and centre and not be able to say 'you've done your best Theresa May now put it back to us and see if it is what we want' ...
'I think the reason Nadine Dorries, Boris Johnson and Farage and Hannan and Rees-Mogg, the reason they are terrified of this is because they know public opinion has changed.'
The former Labour Party communications chief who helped mastermind Tony Blair's years in power went on to savage Boris Johnson who has supercharged his bid to topple the prime minister in recent days.
You may also want to watch:
'Boris Johnson was probably the worst foreign secretary we've ever had,' he said. 'People in diplomacy know that, people in politics know that. Don't forget – you do tend to treat him like a showbiz character – this is the guy that delivered Brexit. And Brexit has turned out, in most people's eyes, to be a completed mess.
'There is no Brexit plan. The ERG – the Rees-Mogg outfit – were going to publish their plan for Brexit, now they've decided not to. There is no plan. And Theresa May – love her or hate her and I think she is a pretty hopeless prime minister – she is trying to make sense of the vote that we had two years ago, and what the country is coming to realise is that it can't be done. The big questions that were around on June 24, 2016, Northern Ireland, the trade deal, they are still not resolved.'
- 1 Progressive alliance could see Labour win 351 seats at next election, new analysis reveals
- 2 The bigot we should have called out on day one
- 3 Minister terminates interview after suggesting public's age and weight to blame for UK's high death toll
- 4 Nigel Farage loses nearly 50,000 followers after Twitter suspends QAnon accounts
- 5 Former Brexit Party MEP dies in diving accident in the Bahamas
- 6 Bob Geldof takes swipe at No 10 saying 'lying is second nature' to them
- 7 This picture of Boris Johnson on the phone to Joe Biden has caused a stir
- 8 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 9 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 10 European parliament agrees to add British overseas territories to post-Brexit tax haven blacklist
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.