Remainer takes apart the Brexit celebrations in just 90 seconds
- Credit: Archant
Remaniacs podcast host Alex Andreou has perfectly taken apart the Brexiteers' celebrations in just 90 seconds - pointing out how it will not be a great moment of healing.
Appearing on talkRADIO, Andreou likened the celebrations to footballers "doing a big slide in front of the opposition fans".
He said: "I don't wish to deny anyone their celebration and I think if people want to celebrate they should.
"If they want to ring Big Ben they should.
"But what they can't do is pretend it is a great moment of national unity.
You may also want to watch:
"That I can't allow, I can't allow them to ride on this idea that by ringing Big Ben in the centre of a city that voted 60-40 to Remain in which there are 1.1 million people like me, EU 27 migrants, for whom that bell is the death knell of our automatic rights.
"So one in 10 people walking by that bell ringing, it will mean that their automatic citizenship rights are ending at that moment.
- 1 Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid reject Boris Johnson's coronavirus claim
- 2 Sky News presenter says Boris Johnson is 'gaslighting the nation' over Covid claims
- 3 Nigel Farage reminded of claim that 'acid test of Brexit' surrounds fishing after clip resurfaces
- 4 Pro-Brexit fishing campaigner says Boris Johnson's deal has left her with 'no fish'
- 5 Home Office launches voluntary repatriation scheme for EU nationals
- 6 PMQs: Boris Johnson calls for apology from Keir Starmer over coronavirus stances
- 7 Jeremy Corbyn loses bid to release Labour documents ahead of High Court battle
- 8 European parliament agrees to add British overseas territories to post-Brexit tax haven blacklist
- 9 Brussels politician says Boris Johnson should 'pay for EU workers to stay' in UK
- 10 Boris Johnson is the 'worst PM' and should resign, says Alastair Campbell
"So what I can't allow them to do, is to both organise a celebration and to pretend it is a great moment of national healing.
"It is not, it is a doing a big slide in front of the opposition fans to use a football analogy."
He continued: "So to come to the most Remain-y place in the UK full of EU 27 migrants for who this is significant and catastrophic and pretend we are all together having a good celebration as if it is New Year's Eve, it is not true.
"Most people in this city will be deeply unhappy about what is going on."
While Brexiteers fumed about the analysis, Remainers watching the video praised Andreou's view on what will happen on January 31st.
Dirk Singer tweeted: "Spot on by @sturdyAlex. Have your Brexit party in two weeks, but please spare us the guff about coming together or 'healing'."
"Massive mistake, @BorisJohnson and you know it," wrote June Wayland. "Or is it a mistake or an intention to divide the population even further, if that was possible? Why do you do this intentionally?"
Stephen Ball said: "Brexiters have got to be the sorest winners in history. It's almost as if many of them are eternally angry… I wonder who they will blame for their problems next (well I don't, we all know Remain supporters & the EU will be blamed for years to come)".
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.