Civil servants claimed ‘people got Brexit vote wrong’, says Tory MP
- Credit: PA
A Tory MP claimed that Foreign Office officials had said 'people had got it wrong' in relation to the Brexit vote.
Alicia Kearns, who formerly worked in the department, made the remarks in relation to allegations about Priti Patel, who faces accusations of bullying from a former civil servant.
Speaking in the Commons, Kearns said: "I was a civil servant at three government departments.
"On the day of the Brexit referendum result, I was told at the Foreign Office by multiple senior civil servants that it was the 'wrong decision, the people had got it wrong'.
"So my question is that is it not right that sometimes, sadly, ministers do need to be robust with civil servants to make sure the people's priorities are always delivered?"
You may also want to watch:
Cabinet Office minister Michael Gove replied: "You are absolutely right.
"Of course we will all have different opinions about the wisdom of particular policies as individual citizens, but as a government we are united in making sure we will deliver the manifesto on which we were elected.
- 1 Brexit regret: Meet the Leave voters who wish they hadn't voted Leave
- 2 Labour leader defends NHS after being kicked out of pub in Bath
- 3 Opposition parties push for probe into Boris Johnson's conduct following viral video
- 4 ‘I should not have listened to Cameron’ – Former European Commission president
- 5 Scottish Tory leader accused of 'nonsense' excuse for Boris Johnson avoiding Scotland
- 6 A chapter is over for Britain, for good or ill
- 7 Welsh government refused permission for legal challenge over post-Brexit bill
- 8 New research reveals half of Brexit supporters were not 'left behind' red-wall voters
- 9 Russell Kane: Why working class people like Boris Johnson
- 10 Annalena Baerbock: Can the Queen of Green seize the Bundestag?
"One of the strengths of our system of government is that the civil service works energetically and determinedly to ensure the agenda of the government of the day is fulfilled."
Gove went on to praise civil servants he has worked with.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.