Brexiteer commentator in 'self-own' over Covid-19 comments
- Credit: David Levenson/Getty Images
Pro-Brexit Telegraph columnist Allison Pearson delivered herself a 'self-own' after her criticism of Covid-19 restrictions backfired.
Pearson turned to Twitter to claim that "hardly anyone" knew of people who had the coronavirus.
She tweeted: "I’ve asked so many people if they know anyone who has had Covid. Hardly anyone. Two people knew someone (not close) who’d died. Without daily news would we even know there was an epidemic?"
In amongst the responses from those who pointed out they did indeed know someone who had the virus, was a tweet which caught Pearson's eye was the one had claimed she was "so bloody lucky".
Allison Stallard continued to explain how her son and elderly father had it, adding: "You knew you would get these replies".
You may also want to watch:
The columnist simply wrote back: "Sorry? My whole family had it".
Twitter labelled it a spectacular "self-own" with one telling the writer: "I often refer to my whole family as 'hardly anyone' too!"
- 1 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 2 The bigot we should have called out on day one
- 3 Matt Hancock praises free school meals before being reminded he voted against them
- 4 James O'Brien schools Brexiteer who refuses to accept new EU-UK trade rules
- 5 Nigel Farage launches new party in Scotland to promote 'positive case for the Union'
- 6 Brexiteer MP ridiculed after calling for free movement of goods between GB and NI
- 7 Keir Starmer got it right with vote on Brexit deal
- 8 The polling that signals the plight of the Union
- 9 Scottish fishing boats ditch UK waters for Denmark to escape Brexit red tape
- 10 Brexiteer rebuked after backing Nigel Farage's 'East Germany' claims
"Hello police, I'd like to report a murder" tweeted James Felton, remarking on Pearson's own comments.
"I do wonder if she also has another account that she tweets normal logical thoughts from," remarked Steve Analyst.
"Allison has out-Allisoned Allison. Peak 2020," wrote @irishelt.
Benny Blanco asked: "Is she simply trolling herself these days so we don’t have to? Saves me some time at least"
Arun Joshi, meanwhile, commented: "Allison Pearson possesses all the values that Tories admire in their leaders..."
"Alexa, give me an example of a self-own," commented another.
In September the Telegraph columnist claimed it was "good" that her son had caught the coronavirus.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.