Mark Francois asked if he has ‘gone crazy’ after comparing result to ‘fall of Berlin Wall’
- Credit: Archant
The Tory MP and deputy chair of the European Research Group (ERG) Mark Francois was grilled as the 2019 general election results came in, after he compared the 'fall of Labour' to the fall of the Berlin Wall.
Speaking after the broadly accurate predictions of the exit poll came in, Francois told the BBC's Andrew Neil that "in 1989 Russia's Berlin Wall came down. In 2019 Labour's red wall came down".
The hard Brexiteer compared Labour's so-called 'red wall' to a totalitarian state.
He added: "In this election the Labour party presented a Marxist option and the British people have resoundingly defeated it.
"They [voters] put their trust in the prime minister and in us, well hang on we must be worthy of that trust.
You may also want to watch:
"Look at what has happened tonight. There's talk of the red wall, in 1989 Russia's Berlin Wall came down. In 2019 Labour's red wll came down."
Baffled, Andrew Neil replies: "What, Labour's red wall is analogous to the Berlin Wall of a totalitarian state?"
- 1 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 2 The bigot we should have called out on day one
- 3 James O'Brien schools Brexiteer who refuses to accept new EU-UK trade rules
- 4 Matt Hancock praises free school meals before being reminded he voted against them
- 5 Nigel Farage launches new party in Scotland to promote 'positive case for the Union'
- 6 Keir Starmer got it right with vote on Brexit deal
- 7 The polling that signals the plight of the Union
- 8 Brexiteer MP ridiculed after calling for free movement of goods between GB and NI
- 9 Scottish fishing boats ditch UK waters for Denmark to escape Brexit red tape
- 10 PMQs Review: The one where the speaker finally snapped
He continues to slam Francois over his comments.
READ MORE: Bercow pays moving tribute to Dominic Grieve before he concedes BeaconsfieldREAD MORE: John Bercow defends his record as speaker with stunning put-down for Andrea Leadsom"Is this result making you, I mean have you slightly gone [crazy]?" the host asks, gesturing his hands towards his head.
"Are you hallucinating?" he added.
Francois replied: "No, not at all. In this election the Labour party presented a Marxist option and the British people have resoundedly defeated it".
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.