Mark Francois asked if he has ‘gone crazy’ after comparing result to ‘fall of Berlin Wall’
- Credit: Archant
The Tory MP and deputy chair of the European Research Group (ERG) Mark Francois was grilled as the 2019 general election results came in, after he compared the 'fall of Labour' to the fall of the Berlin Wall.
Speaking after the broadly accurate predictions of the exit poll came in, Francois told the BBC's Andrew Neil that "in 1989 Russia's Berlin Wall came down. In 2019 Labour's red wall came down".
The hard Brexiteer compared Labour's so-called 'red wall' to a totalitarian state.
He added: "In this election the Labour party presented a Marxist option and the British people have resoundingly defeated it.
"They [voters] put their trust in the prime minister and in us, well hang on we must be worthy of that trust.
You may also want to watch:
"Look at what has happened tonight. There's talk of the red wall, in 1989 Russia's Berlin Wall came down. In 2019 Labour's red wll came down."
Baffled, Andrew Neil replies: "What, Labour's red wall is analogous to the Berlin Wall of a totalitarian state?"
- 1 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 2 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 3 Government told to publish impact assessments for Boris Johnson's 'Narnia' deal with EU
- 4 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 5 Theresa May brands Michael Gove's no-deal Brexit statement 'utter rubbish'
- 6 ERG MP says Boris Johnson should consider cutting ties with Church of England following Brexit row
- 7 Brexiteer admits 'Australia-style deal' term designed to 'pull wool over voters' eyes'
- 8 Remainers blamed for Boris Johnson's inability to secure Brexit deal
- 9 Labour MP calls Dan Wootton a 'complete and utter nutcase' following Covid-19 herd immunity comment
- 10 Diane Abbott accuses Keir Starmer of having 'other motives' while shadow Brexit secretary
He continues to slam Francois over his comments.
READ MORE: Bercow pays moving tribute to Dominic Grieve before he concedes BeaconsfieldREAD MORE: John Bercow defends his record as speaker with stunning put-down for Andrea Leadsom"Is this result making you, I mean have you slightly gone [crazy]?" the host asks, gesturing his hands towards his head.
"Are you hallucinating?" he added.
Francois replied: "No, not at all. In this election the Labour party presented a Marxist option and the British people have resoundedly defeated it".
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.