‘World’s oldest rebel’ dies aged 95
- Credit: Archant
Veteran anti-austerity and anti-Brexit activist Harry Leslie Smith has died aged 95.
Smith, from Barnsley in South Yorkshire, appeared at the Labour Party conference in 2014 to speak about life before the NHS.
He fought in World War II and lived through the Great Depression, and called himself the 'world's oldest rebel'.
Writing for The New European last year, Smith said that his generation's hard fought lessons were being forgotten through Brexit.
He said: 'For me the tragedy of Brexit is that it was the blood, sweat and tears of my generation that helped forge a more perfect union between Britain and Europe. Now that appears lost and our country feels shorn of hope because hollow words of rich Tory politicians will never replace the benefits in trade, culture, workers rights, and security we derived from being a member of the EU.'
A post on his Twitter account, which has more than 250,000 followers, announced his death on Wednesday morning.
You may also want to watch:
The tweet said: 'At 3:39 this morning, my dad Harry Leslie Smith died. I am an orphan. #istandwithharry'.
Former Labour leader Ed Miliband tweeted: 'Very sad to hear of the death of Harry Leslie Smith. He was one of a kind who never wavered in his fight for equality and justice. We should all carry his passion, optimism and spirit forward.'
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 3 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 4 Fool's gold? Nigel Farage wants you to invest your trust in his financial advice service
- 5 The deep roots of Dominic Cummings' personal antipathy to the BBC
- 6 Who's on the BBC's Question Time tonight?
- 7 Tory MP who voted against her own party to support free school meals motion quits government in protest
- 8 'Shameful' Tory minister defends government memo attacking Marcus Rashford's free school meals call
- 9 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
- 10 Tory minister branded 'disgraceful' after dismissing child hunger in Britain as something that has 'been going on for years'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.