Tory MP told to leave party by fellow MP for backing Rory Stewart
- Credit: PA
The Tory party has been forced to intervene after a male MP sent a female MP 'abusive' messages because she supported Rory Stewart in the leadership race.
Antoinette Sandbach, who backed Rory Stewart in the leadership campaign, tweeted abusive messages she said were sent by a male MP, apparently over her continuing opposition to a no-deal Brexit.
Sandbach tweeted: "Barely is the ink dry on the results and the dark ops begin.
"This is from a male Conservative MP to me as I sat on the train home #completewankspangle."
A screenshot of two messages read: "You too are a disgrace. Time you left the party I think."
You may also want to watch:
Sandbach said: "It's bad enough when you get it from complete strangers. Is it any wonder three female MPs left."
Following the messages of support for the MP she was told by chief whip Julian Smith that he would investigate.
- 1 Leave EU website suspended after EU registry blocks move to Ireland
- 2 Comedian wins praise after shaming No 10 during Dancing on Ice appearance
- 3 Television drama to focus on Boris Johnson's first year in Downing Street
- 4 Boris Johnson blames seafood companies for post-Brexit sales slump
- 5 Boris Johnson claims Labour supporters using Universal Credit vote to incite hatred
- 6 Progressive alliance could see Labour win 351 seats at next election, new analysis reveals
- 7 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 8 Michael Gove among 14 Tory MPs revealed to have joined banned Parler app
- 9 The polling that signals the plight of the Union
- 10 Dominic Raab 'not convinced' collapse of fishing businesses would be result of Brexit deal
Jeremy Hunt, who is one of the finalists in the competition, called the messages "wrong".
He retweeted her messages with a note of support, saying: "This is so wrong! We have to come together as a party..."
Smith also retweeted Sandbach and said an investigation would be launched and thanked her for her loyalty over the government's Brexit deal.
He said: "Totally unacceptable - will investigate & meet Monday.
"Thank you for supporting the Withdrawal Agreement three times & for your support of HMG."
Sandbach told the Press Association she had made an official complaint.
She said: "I have made a complaint to chief whip and will get it dealt with internally."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.