MP urges petition supporters to join Tories to elect pro-EU leader
- Credit: Archant
With speculation that Theresa May could be forced out of her job in the coming weeks or months, one Tory MP is encouraging signatories of the Revoke Article 50 petition to join the Conservatives to elect a pro-EU leader.
Antoinette Sandbach said in a tweet that if just 1% of those that have signed the petition joined the party it could quickly sway the decision.
She said: 'If just 1% of those who signed #RevokeArticle50Petition joined the Conservative party, they would have a vote for the next leader of the party, you would have a decisive say.
'Could be the best £25.00 you have ever spent.'
She included a link to the application form for registering to become a Conservative party member.
You may also want to watch:
Her call angered Brexiteers, who had hoped UKIP entryism would ensure the next leader is anti-EU. They called on party chairman Brandon Lewis to take action.
Brexit Central editor Jonathan Isaby said: 'It would appear that Tory MP @Sandbach is encouraging infiltration of the Conservative Party by anti-democracy campaigners in order to install an anti-democrat as its next leader. Is this appropriate @BrandonLewis?'
- 1 Tory MP blames 'chaotic parents' for children going to school hungry
- 2 Boris Johnson 'hid in bedroom' to avoid grilling on Brexit stance days before becoming PM
- 3 Danny Dyer praised for criticisms of Tory party - pointing out Etonians can't run the country
- 4 George Osborne says it is 'game over' for Boris Johnson over free school meals
- 5 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 6 Liz Truss' department slammed for false claim about cost of soy sauce after Brexit
- 7 Andy Burnham could have been 'halfway through tenure as PM by now', claims commentator
- 8 Minister sparks concerns about pig semen after Brexit
- 9 Minister says he 'doesn't understand' accusation he's starving kids in holidays
- 10 Brexiteer in lockdown denial over 49% drop in constituency Covid-19 cases
But not all Remain campaigners were convinced either.
Edwin Hayward replied: 'Do we really want to gift a party that's so out of touch £millions in an attempt to game it? I don't think so.'
Mike Butcher said: 'I think I'd rather join a party that destroyed the Tory party at this point. You really think you even DESERVE ever to be taken seriously again? Or are you afraid you're now seen as Blukip, is that it?'
The petition to Revoke Article 50 now stands at 5.4 million signatures, and still continues to grow.
• You can sign the petition on the government's petition website here.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.