MP urges petition supporters to join Tories to elect pro-EU leader
- Credit: Archant
With speculation that Theresa May could be forced out of her job in the coming weeks or months, one Tory MP is encouraging signatories of the Revoke Article 50 petition to join the Conservatives to elect a pro-EU leader.
Antoinette Sandbach said in a tweet that if just 1% of those that have signed the petition joined the party it could quickly sway the decision.
She said: 'If just 1% of those who signed #RevokeArticle50Petition joined the Conservative party, they would have a vote for the next leader of the party, you would have a decisive say.
'Could be the best £25.00 you have ever spent.'
She included a link to the application form for registering to become a Conservative party member.
You may also want to watch:
Her call angered Brexiteers, who had hoped UKIP entryism would ensure the next leader is anti-EU. They called on party chairman Brandon Lewis to take action.
Brexit Central editor Jonathan Isaby said: 'It would appear that Tory MP @Sandbach is encouraging infiltration of the Conservative Party by anti-democracy campaigners in order to install an anti-democrat as its next leader. Is this appropriate @BrandonLewis?'
- 1 Empty shelves are partly down to Brexit - but Leavers won't admit it
- 2 The Spanish village with the mythical blue lagoon
- 3 Has something shifted in sado-populist Britain?
- 4 Priti Patel - the poster girl for our poisonous politics
- 5 Ed Vaizey overtakes Paul Dacre in the Ofcom race
- 6 A very nearly enchanted evening
- 7 My favourite new Freedom is avoiding selfish anti-maskers
- 8 Why Bristol is the street art city
- 9 Boris Johnson enjoys splendid isolation
- 10 Would Javid have renamed ICU wards 'Drama Queen Zones'?
But not all Remain campaigners were convinced either.
Edwin Hayward replied: 'Do we really want to gift a party that's so out of touch £millions in an attempt to game it? I don't think so.'
Mike Butcher said: 'I think I'd rather join a party that destroyed the Tory party at this point. You really think you even DESERVE ever to be taken seriously again? Or are you afraid you're now seen as Blukip, is that it?'
The petition to Revoke Article 50 now stands at 5.4 million signatures, and still continues to grow.
• You can sign the petition on the government's petition website here.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.