Arron Banks criticised for ‘sick joke’ about Greta Thunberg
- Credit: Archant
Millionaire Brexiteer Arron Banks Arron Banks has come under fire for a tweet about 16-year-old climate change activist Greta Thunberg.
The Leave.EU founder and pro-Brexit donor responded to a post by Green Party MP Caroline Lucas about Greta's voyage across the Atlantic on a racing yacht, writing: "Freak yachting accidents do happen in August ..."
He later tweeted that it was a "joke" after his comment sparked outrage from social media users that branded it "sick".
Among those to criticise his post was actress Amanda Abbington, who tweeted: "You're wishing a potentially fatal accident onto a sixteen year old girl, why..?"
She had earlier written: "If you are a grown up, fully-fledged adult and you are mocking this young girl for trying to save the planet then I genuinely feel sorry for you."
You may also want to watch:
One Twitter user responded to Mr Banks' post by saying: "You know she's 16, right?" while another described his comment as "despicable".
Even Brexiteer broadcaster Julia Hartley-Brewer joined in the denouncement by pointing out to him: "She's a child, Arron, FFS."
- 1 Could Mexican Coke spark a new Coca-Cola cold war?
- 2 Dominic Raab 'chickened out' of a no-deal Brexit, Michel Barnier says
- 3 Boris Johnson's downfall will be the truth
- 4 Boris Johnson consumed by infighting as Brexit job losses worsen
- 5 The German mega-scandal that puts ours in the shade
- 6 Post-Brexit EU worker exodus hits restaurants and pubs
- 7 New royal yacht Prince Philip is a waste of £200m
- 8 Brexit talks with Britain were plagued by 'Tory quarrels and low blows', says Michel Barnier
- 9 A side to Julio Iglesias nobody should have to see
- 10 Bailout too late for Rishi Sunak's wife
Banks later defended his post and, in response to another tweet which highlighted the fact Greta was a child, he said: "Quite and one being used. Obviously I don't hope she encounters a freak yachting accident! I just enjoy watching the ludicrous tweeter mob following the next outrage ..."
He also replied to someone accusing him of showing "his true colours", saying: "It was a joke .. you lefties have no sense of humour ..."
Greta is embarking on a two-week voyage across the Atlantic on a carbon-neutral racing yacht, the Malizia II, so she can attend high-profile climate events without using planes or cruise ships which emit greenhouse gas emissions.
The Swedish teenager's "school strikes" have inspired a global protest movement by young people demanding urgent action on climate change.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.