Arron Banks criticised for ‘sick joke’ about Greta Thunberg
- Credit: Archant
Millionaire Brexiteer Arron Banks Arron Banks has come under fire for a tweet about 16-year-old climate change activist Greta Thunberg.
The Leave.EU founder and pro-Brexit donor responded to a post by Green Party MP Caroline Lucas about Greta's voyage across the Atlantic on a racing yacht, writing: "Freak yachting accidents do happen in August ..."
He later tweeted that it was a "joke" after his comment sparked outrage from social media users that branded it "sick".
Among those to criticise his post was actress Amanda Abbington, who tweeted: "You're wishing a potentially fatal accident onto a sixteen year old girl, why..?"
She had earlier written: "If you are a grown up, fully-fledged adult and you are mocking this young girl for trying to save the planet then I genuinely feel sorry for you."
You may also want to watch:
One Twitter user responded to Mr Banks' post by saying: "You know she's 16, right?" while another described his comment as "despicable".
Even Brexiteer broadcaster Julia Hartley-Brewer joined in the denouncement by pointing out to him: "She's a child, Arron, FFS."
- 1 Jacob Rees-Mogg claims fish captured after Brexit deal came into effect were 'British and happier for it'
- 2 Matt Hancock praises free school meals before being reminded he voted against them
- 3 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 4 Katie Hopkins joins UKIP in time for leadership contest
- 5 Brexiteer MP ridiculed after calling for free movement of goods between GB and NI
- 6 Spokesman indicates Boris Johnson has not read Brexit trade deal text
- 7 Michel Barnier tells Britain Brexit red tape is here 'for good'
- 8 What Remainers should have done differently
- 9 Britons hit with £1,700 increase on country's two most popular cars due to Brexit
- 10 Liz Truss told to 'do better' after speaker tells trade ministers to end 'political games' in Commons
Banks later defended his post and, in response to another tweet which highlighted the fact Greta was a child, he said: "Quite and one being used. Obviously I don't hope she encounters a freak yachting accident! I just enjoy watching the ludicrous tweeter mob following the next outrage ..."
He also replied to someone accusing him of showing "his true colours", saying: "It was a joke .. you lefties have no sense of humour ..."
Greta is embarking on a two-week voyage across the Atlantic on a carbon-neutral racing yacht, the Malizia II, so she can attend high-profile climate events without using planes or cruise ships which emit greenhouse gas emissions.
The Swedish teenager's "school strikes" have inspired a global protest movement by young people demanding urgent action on climate change.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.