Arron Banks criticised for ‘sick joke’ about Greta Thunberg
- Credit: Archant
Millionaire Brexiteer Arron Banks Arron Banks has come under fire for a tweet about 16-year-old climate change activist Greta Thunberg.
The Leave.EU founder and pro-Brexit donor responded to a post by Green Party MP Caroline Lucas about Greta's voyage across the Atlantic on a racing yacht, writing: "Freak yachting accidents do happen in August ..."
He later tweeted that it was a "joke" after his comment sparked outrage from social media users that branded it "sick".
Among those to criticise his post was actress Amanda Abbington, who tweeted: "You're wishing a potentially fatal accident onto a sixteen year old girl, why..?"
She had earlier written: "If you are a grown up, fully-fledged adult and you are mocking this young girl for trying to save the planet then I genuinely feel sorry for you."
You may also want to watch:
One Twitter user responded to Mr Banks' post by saying: "You know she's 16, right?" while another described his comment as "despicable".
Even Brexiteer broadcaster Julia Hartley-Brewer joined in the denouncement by pointing out to him: "She's a child, Arron, FFS."
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 3 Who's on the BBC's Question Time tonight?
- 4 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 5 Priti Patel bullying inquiry may never be released, hints Boris Johnson's new civil service boss
- 6 Downing Street withholds praise for business and local authorities offering free meals to hungry children
- 7 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 8 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 9 How the Daily Star became Boris Johnson's biggest critic
- 10 Fool's gold? Nigel Farage wants you to invest your trust in his financial advice service
Banks later defended his post and, in response to another tweet which highlighted the fact Greta was a child, he said: "Quite and one being used. Obviously I don't hope she encounters a freak yachting accident! I just enjoy watching the ludicrous tweeter mob following the next outrage ..."
He also replied to someone accusing him of showing "his true colours", saying: "It was a joke .. you lefties have no sense of humour ..."
Greta is embarking on a two-week voyage across the Atlantic on a carbon-neutral racing yacht, the Malizia II, so she can attend high-profile climate events without using planes or cruise ships which emit greenhouse gas emissions.
The Swedish teenager's "school strikes" have inspired a global protest movement by young people demanding urgent action on climate change.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.