Audience laughs after PM claims truth is important to him in ITV debate
- Credit: Archant
The prime minister was laughed at by an audience after claiming the truth was important to him during ITV's party leaders election debate.
When asked how voters can trust either of the party leaders by a pre-selected member of the crowd, the prime minister Boris Johnson said voters only need to look at what he has said and compare it to what he has done as prime minister.
The crowd erupted into laughter at the remark, with Julie Etchningham reminding Johnson that he claimed 40 times on the record that the UK would leave the EU on October 31.
The audience laughed even harder as the prime minister doubled down on his claim that he can be trusted.
"I think it [truth] does matter," Boris Johnson said, to laughter in the room and online.
You may also want to watch:
David Lammy tweeted: "Audible laughter from the audience when Boris Johnson says truth matters in the ITVD ebate. He's a pathological liar and the whole country knows it."
READ MORE: Michael Gove accused of lying about EU citizens' NHS accessREAD MORE: Boris Johnson could be replaced in scheduled televised leaders' debateMike Galsworthy, the founder of Scientists4EU, said: "So that's the first half of #LeadersDebate done. The clip of the show so far is going to be Boris Johnson saying that the truth matters. That clip is going to get repeated and spliced into everything under the sun... mashed in with his lies again & again & again..."
- 1 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 2 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 3 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 4 ERG MP says Boris Johnson should consider cutting ties with Church of England following Brexit row
- 5 Diane Abbott accuses Keir Starmer of having 'other motives' while shadow Brexit secretary
- 6 Leaked memo exposes government fears over rise in support for Scottish independence
- 7 Labour MP calls Dan Wootton a 'complete and utter nutcase' following Covid-19 herd immunity comment
- 8 Labour MP lashes out at Boris Johnson over £150k wage complaint during fiery debate on Manchester lockdown
- 9 Government told to publish impact assessments for Boris Johnson's 'Narnia' deal with EU
- 10 Dominic Cummings dodges £50k in unpaid taxes after decision to 'write off' charges
Elsewhere in the debate hosted by Julie Etchingham, the leaders discussed fiscal policy, the NHS, and royal family.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.