Tory peer backs Lib Dem in London after slamming ‘a posh boy’s Brexit’
- Credit: PA
A Tory peer is backing a Liberal Democrat candidate in London after slamming her party's proposals for Brexit.
Baroness Wheatcroft, a former business and city editor of The Times and former editor of The Sunday Telegraph, is backing Chuka Umunna in his Cities of London and Westminster seat.
Her endorsement of Lib Dem Umunna came as Boris Johnson as he addressed business leaders at the annual CBI Conference in London.
In a statement on Twitter, Umunna said: "I am delighted that Conservative peer Baroness Wheatcroft has endorsed my campaign in Cities of London & Westminster as the 'pro-enterprise, pro-European' choice. Remainers of all parties are supporting my campaign to #StopBrexit."
Wheatcroft, who joined the House of Lords in 2010, told the Evening Standard: "I have previously supported the Conservatives but could not possibly do so at this election."
You may also want to watch:
Speaking in the House of Lords last year, the Tory peer backed the case for a People's Vote.
She warned that the rich would be insulated from the impact of Brexit by moving their money offshore, while it would be those who had fared worst over recent years who would suffer most.
- 1 Brexiteer Prue Leith quits Tory Party after government votes down motion to protect UK food standards
- 2 Public slams Brexit Party tweet which shames Tory MPs who voted against free school meals
- 3 Piers Morgan must expose the government's Brexit betrayal
- 4 Group in protest against Tory MPs who voted down free school meals targets offices with empty plates
- 5 Peers set to remove law-breaking sections of Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 6 Tory minister blames journalists for NHS Test and Trace failure as he defends Dido Harding
- 7 Michel Barnier postpones Brussels return as Brexit trade talks in London continue
- 8 Brexit shambles: A stress of our own making
- 9 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 10 Boris Johnson and Priti Patel urged to end 'attacks' on lawyers in letter by 800 legal professionals
"This is looking increasingly like a posh boy's Brexit," Lady Wheatcroft earlier said.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.