Newspaper says it will stop printing Lib Dem stories if it does not pull leaflet
- Credit: Archant
A newspaper group has accused the Lib Dems of trying to pass the publication off as one of his group's newspapers in the same area it circulates the Basingstoke Gazette.
Newsquest editorial director Toby Granville said he would advise editors in the organisation not to publish campaign news for the Lib Dems unless the leaflet - called the Mid-Hampshire Gazette - is withdrawn.
He tweeted: "This is outrageous Lib Dems passing yourselves off as the Gazette newspaper in same area as our @BasGazette.
"If this isn't pulled I'll advise all Newsquest editors not to publish any campaign news for your party in build-up to #GE2019"
The Society of Editors condemned "what appears to be a concerted effort by the Liberal Democrats to mislead readers and voters by disguising their election freesheet as imitation local newspapers".
You may also want to watch:
Ian Murray, the organisation's chief executive, said: "It is ironic how it is often politicians who complain about fake news but then set out to at least blur the lines for readers - and in this case voters - by packaging their partial messages to ape independent newspapers."
He continued: "If political parties were genuine in their desire, often expressed, to both remove the effects of fake news and disinformation as well as support existing regional and local media they would take steps to ensure their political freesheets look markedly different to real newspapers."
- 1 QT: Brexiteer economist urged to 'check his facts' following rant about EU fisheries policy
- 2 British expats seethe at post-Brexit travel restrictions
- 3 Boris Johnson faces 'wipeout' in 'Red Wall' seats at next general election, new polling suggests
- 4 Fish merchant claims he was 'brainwashed' into voting Brexit
- 5 Jacob Rees-Mogg shuts down debate on Eton welcoming girls saying it 'works very well' without them
- 6 Johnson's destruction of the UK's global standing
- 7 A paper-thin Brexit deal isn’t befitting of Great Britain
- 8 Michel Barnier cancels Brexit briefing with EU envoys due to 'ongoing intensive negotiations'
- 9 Brexiteer begins swearing after discovering extent of trade between GB and NI
- 10 ALASTAIR CAMPBELL: Keir has let the Tories get inside his head
But Liberal Democrat leader Jo Swinson has defended the party's tactics over the use of leaflets packaged up to look like newspapers.
Swinson told the PA news agency: "I haven't seen the specifics, but doing campaign newspapers is not exactly a new campaign tactic, nor one that is only one that is done by the Liberal Democrats.
"We obviously do a mix of leaflets, letters or folded leaflets, or stuff on news print - I mean that's part of getting our message across.
"Generally we have newspapers going out as one of our campaign types of leaflets and, as I say, it's kind of as old as the hills."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.