Emily Maitlis praised for ‘powerful’ Newsnight intro slamming ministers over coronavirus
- Credit: BBC Newsnight
Newsnight broadcaster Emily Maitlis has received an outpour of praise for her 'powerful words' on the coronavirus pandemic as she introduced the current affairs programme.
During the latest programme, Maitlis slammed government ministers for using language around Covid-19 such as a 'great leveller' and something that can be survived through 'fortitude and strength of character'.
Emily said: 'They tell us coronavirus is a great leveller. It's not. It's much, much harder if you're poor. How do we stop it making social inequality even greater?'
The broadcaster pointed out it is those with the lowest income on the front line who are most likely to catch the virus, where she adds: 'rich or poor, suffers the same, this is a myth that needs debunking.'
Maitlis' words caught the attention of thousands around the country and many have taken to twitter to praise her for what one user described as 'the strongest minute of current affairs TV since Coronavirus started'.
You may also want to watch:
A twitter user wrote: 'Massive respect to Emily Maitlis for pointing out that the pandemic does not affect us all equally and that we have to rethink the fundamentals of our social contract.
'Huge, disproportionate impact on the lowest paid, the most economically precarious, the most socially vulnerable.'
- 1 Michael Gove asked FIVE TIMES to explain what a 'substantial meal' is
- 2 BBC presenter attracts complaints after calling Brexiteers 'headbangers, zealots and quislings'
- 3 Michael Gove accused of going 'full Trump' after attacking Good Morning Britain's ratings
- 4 British expats seethe at post-Brexit travel restrictions
- 5 Keir Starmer mocks Tory heckler who said he was speaking in 'hindsight' with prediction
- 6 Brexiteer claims it will be '25 years' before UK gets sovereignty back
- 7 Netherlands causes hilarity with use of Brexit 'monster' to issue warning to citizens
- 8 Brexiteer mocked after dreaming up term to describe Britain's Covid vaccination programme
- 9 Michael Gove tells Piers Morgan boycotting GMB had been 'good advice'
- 10 Scotland should 'aim to rejoin EU in full' after Brexit, SNP told
Another who commented on the opening of the programme said: 'This news segment delivered by #emilymaitlis catches with clarity the hard truth of health, social and political issues linked to #COVID19.'
Others described the opening message as 'extraordinary' and 'brilliant' as she 'spoke for the nation'.
But despite the praise for Emily's 'powerful' words that 'needed saying', comments online have also been met by those who say more journalists and media outlets need to do the same.
One posted: 'The Emily Maitlis Miracle. These words were brilliant and most definitely needed, but this needs to become the norm. #COVID-19 #NHS,'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.