Emily Maitlis praised for ‘powerful’ Newsnight intro slamming ministers over coronavirus
- Credit: BBC Newsnight
Newsnight broadcaster Emily Maitlis has received an outpour of praise for her 'powerful words' on the coronavirus pandemic as she introduced the current affairs programme.
During the latest programme, Maitlis slammed government ministers for using language around Covid-19 such as a 'great leveller' and something that can be survived through 'fortitude and strength of character'.
Emily said: 'They tell us coronavirus is a great leveller. It's not. It's much, much harder if you're poor. How do we stop it making social inequality even greater?'
The broadcaster pointed out it is those with the lowest income on the front line who are most likely to catch the virus, where she adds: 'rich or poor, suffers the same, this is a myth that needs debunking.'
Maitlis' words caught the attention of thousands around the country and many have taken to twitter to praise her for what one user described as 'the strongest minute of current affairs TV since Coronavirus started'.
You may also want to watch:
A twitter user wrote: 'Massive respect to Emily Maitlis for pointing out that the pandemic does not affect us all equally and that we have to rethink the fundamentals of our social contract.
'Huge, disproportionate impact on the lowest paid, the most economically precarious, the most socially vulnerable.'
- 1 Brexit regret: Meet the Leave voters who wish they hadn't voted Leave
- 2 Boris Johnson vows action over 'absurd' post-Brexit trading arrangements
- 3 Government scraps Brexit permits to enter Kent
- 4 Why everyone in rents in Germany
- 5 Opposition parties push for probe into Boris Johnson's conduct following viral video
- 6 Defence minister Johnny Mercer 'trying to resign' - reports
- 7 Boris Johnson challenged over 'honesty and integrity' of Jennifer Arcuri claims
- 8 No 10 says Johnny Mercer is 'valued' minister as it attempts to stop him resigning
- 9 Plan for White House-style briefings axed despite £2.6m spend on media room
- 10 Johnny Mercer 'sacked' by No 10 after speculation he intended to resign
Another who commented on the opening of the programme said: 'This news segment delivered by #emilymaitlis catches with clarity the hard truth of health, social and political issues linked to #COVID19.'
Others described the opening message as 'extraordinary' and 'brilliant' as she 'spoke for the nation'.
But despite the praise for Emily's 'powerful' words that 'needed saying', comments online have also been met by those who say more journalists and media outlets need to do the same.
One posted: 'The Emily Maitlis Miracle. These words were brilliant and most definitely needed, but this needs to become the norm. #COVID-19 #NHS,'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.