‘You are now on Project Frit!’ – Alastair Campbell in stinging attack on Rees-Mogg
- Credit: Archant
Alastair Campbell clashed with Jacob Rees-Mogg during a heated television debate, in which he accused the Brexiteer of peddling 'false promises'.
The pair clashed on the BBC's Politics Live programme with Rees-Mogg accusing Campbell of being a 'bad loser' for wanting a People's Vote.
He claimed: 'We voted and then had a general election where both the main parties backed and said they would implement the referendum. So we had two votes already. How many more votes do you want? One until you win?'
But Campbell hit back pointing out that many Remainers voted for Labour in a bid to prevent Theresa May from a majority and to steer her away from a hard Brexit.
In response to accusations that Remainers were promoting 'Project Fear' he accused Rees-Mogg and the European Research Group (ERG) of leading 'Project Frit'.
You may also want to watch:
Campbell said: 'I want to have another vote including on what's happened since [the referendum], Jacob, where your promises have been exposed as false.
'We lost but so many things you promised have not happened. So many things you said would not happen are happening.'
- 1 The EU has moved on from Brexit... and Europeans have moved on from Britain
- 2 The true cost of Brexit is becoming clearer
- 3 Food industry predicts empty shelves and price rises in latest Brexit dividend
- 4 MATT FREI: Brexit posed a question... and we haven't even begun to answer it
- 5 Brexit: British 'expats' in Spain facing deportation over residency
- 6 Priti Patel accuses EU countries of treating British people unfairly
- 7 Britain’s message of hope to Europe on the referendum’s 5th anniversary
- 8 Ed Davey rejects Labour alliance in wake of by-election victory
- 9 Where the fires of Brexit still burn fiercest
- 10 How Boris Johnson went from Francophile to Francophobe
He added: 'People are already losing on their living standards, companies are already relocating. Nobody voted to be poorer, nobody voted for this chaos and this mess. The public is changing their minds. You are now on project frit because you know the 'will of the people' is changing.
'You keep saying that is what people voted for – they did not vote for what you're putting forward.'
MORE: Nigel Farage embarrassed by New European editor on national TVMORE: May claims People's Vote would 'destroy trust in politicians' and everyone reacted the same wayMORE: 'That might be more of a problem' – Clueless Brexiteer left stumped during interview
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.