‘You are now on Project Frit!’ – Alastair Campbell in stinging attack on Rees-Mogg
- Credit: Archant
Alastair Campbell clashed with Jacob Rees-Mogg during a heated television debate, in which he accused the Brexiteer of peddling 'false promises'.
The pair clashed on the BBC's Politics Live programme with Rees-Mogg accusing Campbell of being a 'bad loser' for wanting a People's Vote.
He claimed: 'We voted and then had a general election where both the main parties backed and said they would implement the referendum. So we had two votes already. How many more votes do you want? One until you win?'
But Campbell hit back pointing out that many Remainers voted for Labour in a bid to prevent Theresa May from a majority and to steer her away from a hard Brexit.
In response to accusations that Remainers were promoting 'Project Fear' he accused Rees-Mogg and the European Research Group (ERG) of leading 'Project Frit'.
You may also want to watch:
Campbell said: 'I want to have another vote including on what's happened since [the referendum], Jacob, where your promises have been exposed as false.
'We lost but so many things you promised have not happened. So many things you said would not happen are happening.'
- 1 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 2 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 3 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 4 Tory minister branded 'disgraceful' after dismissing child hunger in Britain as something that has 'been going on for years'
- 5 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 6 UK Business leaders describe Brexit call with Boris Johnson and Michael Gove as 'pointless'
- 7 Fool's gold? Nigel Farage wants you to invest your trust in his financial advice service
- 8 Leaked memo exposes government fears over rise in support for Scottish independence
- 9 Ex-civil service chief takes swipe at Dominic Cummings while criticising government's Covid-19 response
- 10 PMQs Review: The one where it was grim up north
He added: 'People are already losing on their living standards, companies are already relocating. Nobody voted to be poorer, nobody voted for this chaos and this mess. The public is changing their minds. You are now on project frit because you know the 'will of the people' is changing.
'You keep saying that is what people voted for – they did not vote for what you're putting forward.'
MORE: Nigel Farage embarrassed by New European editor on national TVMORE: May claims People's Vote would 'destroy trust in politicians' and everyone reacted the same wayMORE: 'That might be more of a problem' – Clueless Brexiteer left stumped during interview
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.