‘You are now on Project Frit!’ – Alastair Campbell in stinging attack on Rees-Mogg
- Credit: Archant
Alastair Campbell clashed with Jacob Rees-Mogg during a heated television debate, in which he accused the Brexiteer of peddling 'false promises'.
The pair clashed on the BBC's Politics Live programme with Rees-Mogg accusing Campbell of being a 'bad loser' for wanting a People's Vote.
He claimed: 'We voted and then had a general election where both the main parties backed and said they would implement the referendum. So we had two votes already. How many more votes do you want? One until you win?'
But Campbell hit back pointing out that many Remainers voted for Labour in a bid to prevent Theresa May from a majority and to steer her away from a hard Brexit.
In response to accusations that Remainers were promoting 'Project Fear' he accused Rees-Mogg and the European Research Group (ERG) of leading 'Project Frit'.
You may also want to watch:
Campbell said: 'I want to have another vote including on what's happened since [the referendum], Jacob, where your promises have been exposed as false.
'We lost but so many things you promised have not happened. So many things you said would not happen are happening.'
- 1 European parliament agrees to add British overseas territories to post-Brexit tax haven blacklist
- 2 Pro-Brexit fishing campaigner says Boris Johnson's deal has left her with 'no fish'
- 3 Minister terminates interview after suggesting public's age and weight to blame for UK's high death toll
- 4 This picture of Boris Johnson on the phone to Joe Biden has caused a stir
- 5 Telegraph columnist blames Angela Merkel for Brexit
- 6 Boris Johnson to visit Scotland this week in attempt to shore up the union
- 7 Brexiteer calls for UK to save Eurostar - by buying it and renaming it 'Britstar'
- 8 Petition launched to cancel 'festival of Brexit' event in 2022
- 9 Brussels to launch campaign teaching younger Britons about the EU
- 10 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
He added: 'People are already losing on their living standards, companies are already relocating. Nobody voted to be poorer, nobody voted for this chaos and this mess. The public is changing their minds. You are now on project frit because you know the 'will of the people' is changing.
'You keep saying that is what people voted for – they did not vote for what you're putting forward.'
MORE: Nigel Farage embarrassed by New European editor on national TVMORE: May claims People's Vote would 'destroy trust in politicians' and everyone reacted the same wayMORE: 'That might be more of a problem' – Clueless Brexiteer left stumped during interview
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.