Emily Maitlis returns to Newsnight after Dominic Cummings row
- Credit: Archant
Emily Maitlis has returned to Newsnight for the first time since staff were reprimanded for a monologue delivered about Dominic Cummings' rule-breaking during the lockdown.
Bosses claimed that Maitlis and the team had broken the BBC's impartiality guidelines following her remarks on the saga last week.
In her introduction to last Tuesday's show, Maitlis said Cummings had 'broken the rules' when he travelled from London to Durham during lockdown and 'the country can see that, and it's shocked the government cannot'.
Despite the police later finding a minor breach, the BBC said the monologue 'did not meet our standards of due impartiality'.
Maitlis returned to Newsnight on Monday, but did not mention the row during a show focusing on the protests that have broken out across the US in response to the death of an unarmed black man.
You may also want to watch:
George Floyd died after a white Minneapolis police officer held his knee on his neck for several minutes.
Following the controversy over Cummings, Maitlis did not appear as scheduled on an episode of Newsnight, saying she asked for the evening off.
- 1 European parliament agrees to add British overseas territories to post-Brexit tax haven blacklist
- 2 Pro-Brexit fishing campaigner says Boris Johnson's deal has left her with 'no fish'
- 3 Minister terminates interview after suggesting public's age and weight to blame for UK's high death toll
- 4 This picture of Boris Johnson on the phone to Joe Biden has caused a stir
- 5 Telegraph columnist blames Angela Merkel for Brexit
- 6 Boris Johnson to visit Scotland this week in attempt to shore up the union
- 7 Brexiteer calls for UK to save Eurostar - by buying it and renaming it 'Britstar'
- 8 Petition launched to cancel 'festival of Brexit' event in 2022
- 9 Brussels to launch campaign teaching younger Britons about the EU
- 10 Piers Morgan defends interview with Thérèse Coffey after accusations of 'bullying'
The presenter, widely lauded for her interview with the Duke of York last year, said she has been 'overwhelmed' by support from viewers after her monologue on Mr Cummings.
The 49-year-old broadcaster tweeted: 'Been overwhelmed by all the kindness, messages - and support on here - and I've probably missed much of it.
'A big thank you from us all at Newsnight.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.