Poll finds Boris Johnson one of the most popular Halloween choices
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Children are dressing up as Boris Johnson this Halloween as families take inspiration from Brexit for their plans, according to new research.
The prime minister is the 10th most topical option on a list topped by Pennywise the clown from IT 2, with Spider-Man in second place.
Research by Beano found Johnson has been named the ghastliest figure of the 21st century by two-thirds (66%) of British parents and children.
The new study of 2,000 British parents and their children aged six to 14 found more than half (54%) of families are drawing direct inspiration from Brexit for their Halloween plans this year.
More than a quarter (28%) plan to dress up as famous British politicians, while one in five (20%) will be using Brexit-themed decorations.
You may also want to watch:
Mike Stirling, editorial director of Beano Studios, said "Kids today are far more clued up as to what's going on in the world and with Brexit on everyone's lips, it's unsurprising that we'll be seeing a horde of mini Boris' taking over the streets of the UK this Halloween, with a Jeremy Corbyn or two."
The research, carried out in October, found Johnson is considered the second scariest celebrity by British children, with Donald Trump in first place.
- 1 The true cost of Brexit is becoming clearer
- 2 Why have Remainers gone so quiet?
- 3 Did Euros fever contribute to result of EU referendum?
- 4 Boris Johnson's awkward moment with the Queen
- 5 Be careful what you wish for... voting reform could kill Labour
- 6 Dominic Cummings explains why Boris Johnson didn't do Andrew Neil interview
- 7 MATT FREI: Brexit posed a question... and we haven't even begun to answer it
- 8 How the Kominsky Method grapples with growing old
- 9 PMQs: Ian Blackford drops truth bomb over post-Brexit trade deal with Australia
- 10 Michael O'Leary: My hope for the future over Brexit
Meanwhile, more than eight in 10 (82%) British children have said they now prefer modern and pop culture outfits for Halloween over traditional costumes such as ghosts, witches and vampires.
The top 20 Halloween outfit choices for 2019 include The Joker, Wonder Woman and characters from Stranger Things and video game Fortnite.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.