Poll finds Boris Johnson one of the most popular Halloween choices
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Children are dressing up as Boris Johnson this Halloween as families take inspiration from Brexit for their plans, according to new research.
The prime minister is the 10th most topical option on a list topped by Pennywise the clown from IT 2, with Spider-Man in second place.
Research by Beano found Johnson has been named the ghastliest figure of the 21st century by two-thirds (66%) of British parents and children.
The new study of 2,000 British parents and their children aged six to 14 found more than half (54%) of families are drawing direct inspiration from Brexit for their Halloween plans this year.
More than a quarter (28%) plan to dress up as famous British politicians, while one in five (20%) will be using Brexit-themed decorations.
You may also want to watch:
Mike Stirling, editorial director of Beano Studios, said "Kids today are far more clued up as to what's going on in the world and with Brexit on everyone's lips, it's unsurprising that we'll be seeing a horde of mini Boris' taking over the streets of the UK this Halloween, with a Jeremy Corbyn or two."
The research, carried out in October, found Johnson is considered the second scariest celebrity by British children, with Donald Trump in first place.
- 1 Nigel Farage reminded of claim that 'acid test of Brexit' surrounds fishing after clip resurfaces
- 2 Pro-Brexit fishing campaigner says Boris Johnson's deal has left her with 'no fish'
- 3 Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid reject Boris Johnson's coronavirus claim
- 4 SNP MP asks Priti Patel why she has not stood down following UK border comments
- 5 Ed Miliband mocks Kwasi Kwarteng's 'road to Damascus conversion'
- 6 European parliament agrees to add British overseas territories to post-Brexit tax haven blacklist
- 7 NHS boss admits UK faces Covid vaccine shortage
- 8 Telegraph columnist blames Angela Merkel for Brexit
- 9 Tories abstain on motion to protect post-Brexit workers' rights
- 10 Piers Morgan causes hilarity with 'Priti Patel with a brain' jibe
Meanwhile, more than eight in 10 (82%) British children have said they now prefer modern and pop culture outfits for Halloween over traditional costumes such as ghosts, witches and vampires.
The top 20 Halloween outfit choices for 2019 include The Joker, Wonder Woman and characters from Stranger Things and video game Fortnite.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.