Bell ringers’ council ‘does not endorse’ Brexit celebratory bellringing
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
The central organisation for bellringers has chimed in on the question of whether church bells nationwide should ring out to celebrate Brexit, saying they 'do not endorse' the idea.
The Central Council of Church Bell Ringers (CCCBR) issued a statement saying "as a principle" bell ringing is not done for political reasons.
The body was compelled to issue a statement after it began receiving queries, likely prompted by calls from MPs such as Andrew Bridgen who suggested the move with "permission or no permission".
MORE: Leavers plan church bell-ringing movement to mark Brexit 'like the end of the war'But the CCCBR said that Brexit is not the sort of occasion on which it mobilises its bellringers.
The statement said: "There are historical moments for which bells have been rung - end of world wars for example.
"In 2018 the Central Council worked with the government on a recruitment and awareness campaign to recognise 100 years since WW1 Armistice.
You may also want to watch:
"However the Central Council, as a principle, does not endorse bell ringing for political reasons.
"Individual towers have discretion to ring for such occasions but is on a case by case basis and typically needs permission from the incumbent."
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 3 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 4 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 5 Michael Gove's Brexit fantasy is leading us down a perilous path
- 6 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 7 The harsh truths learned from halt in Brexit talks
- 8 Priti Patel bullying inquiry may never be released, hints Boris Johnson's new civil service boss
- 9 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
- 10 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
Brexiteer Mark Francois has also led calls for Big Ben to ring out at the moment of the UK's departure from the EU.
MORE: Tory MPs say Big Ben chiming on Brexit day would provide 'closure' - but it will cost £120,000The MP for Rayleigh and Wickford asked about the matter in the House of Commons before co-signing a letter to the Telegraph along with 60 fellow MPs.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.