Defence minister claims Boris Johnson is a left-wing Tory
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
A minister has raised eyebrows after claiming that Boris Johnson is actually a 'left-wing Tory'.
Despite installing some of the most right-wing members of the Conservative Party into his cabinet, and fuelling fears that people from Turkey could become EU citizens and move to the UK, defence secretary Ben Wallace claimed the prime minister is a "left-wing Tory" who is also "pro-immigration".
Appearing on the BBC's Political Thinking podcast with Nick Robinson he said: "I think all my colleagues are about to discover that Boris Johnson is actually quite a left-wing Tory in many areas. Pro-immigration. As we can see from the manifesto, pro-public spending."
The claim was tweeted by Robinson to ridicule from his Twitter followers.
"Pretty obvious there's nothing remotely "left" about Johnson", wrote Mike Reigns.
You may also want to watch:
Ash Boothright said: "Johnson will be what suits Johnson at any given time . He's a chameleon, that's what makes him so dangerous".
"In which case I dread to think what a 'right wing Tory' looks like", posted another.
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 3 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 4 Michael Gove's Brexit fantasy is leading us down a perilous path
- 5 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 6 WILL SELF: Two places where everyone knows your name
- 7 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 8 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 9 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
- 10 Brexit shambles: A stress of our own making
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.