Mark Francois’ bid to get Big Ben ringing on Brexit day is scuppered
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The speaker has scuppered Mark Francois' bid to get Big Ben to ring on Brexit day after failing to select his amendment to the Withdrawal Agreement Bill.
It will be a blow to prominent Tory Brexiteers who supported the calls including Nigel Evans, Desmond Swayne, John Redwood, Andrea Jenkyns, and Philip Davies.
Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage had also proposed his celebration party finishes with the chiming of Big Ben at 11pm.
Speaker Lindsay Hoyle had previously said he would not stand in the way of allowing Big Ben to ring on the day the UK leaves the EU, if MPs were to agree.
However the deputy speaker made a decision not to select the amendment for a vote in one of the last key stages of Boris Johnson's Brexit bill.
MORE: Remainers reveal what they will be doing at 11pm on 31st JanuaryElizabeth Tower is currently undergoing an expensive restoration project which has meant that Big Ben can only ring at special occasions - including New Year's Eve.
If approved it would have required a significant amount of testing - at a cost to taxpayers - before Big Ben would have been able to ring again.
You may also want to watch:
The restoration project of Elizabeth Tower is already expected to exceed the £60 million that had been budgeted.
A separate bid by Nigel Farage to host a celebration in Parliament Square on January 31st will be debated by the Greater London Authority this week.
Acting Lib Dem leader Ed Davey called it a "nonsense" proposal that should be stopped.
- 1 Susanna Reid takes on Priti Patel over government's gaslighting of public on coronavirus
- 2 ‘Don’t haste ye back’ - Nicola Sturgeon's perfect farewell message to Donald Trump
- 3 PMQs: Ben Bradshaw calls out Boris Johnson over Brexit lies
- 4 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 5 Brexiteer musician accused of hypocrisy after demanding No 10 help bands with EU visa
- 6 Piers Morgan tells Gavin Williamson to resign for being a 'catastrophe'
- 7 Comedian wins praise after shaming No 10 during Dancing on Ice appearance
- 8 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 9 Trump caller hangs up on James O'Brien after failing to cite ex-president's 'truths'
- 10 9 of the best tweets of Donald Trump leaving the White House
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.