People’s boat launched to ‘save sinking Parliament from a Titanic disaster’
- Credit: PA
Campaigners from Our Future, Our Choice have launched a people's boat in support of a People's Vote to throw Parliament a lifeline.
With Parliament floundering and the Conservative party at war with itself, campaigners hope the boat on the Thames outside the Commons will be a 'whimsical reminder of a serious message' - that the country is sinking under the weight of Brexit.
Dressed up as a lifeboat it is a reminder that in order for the country to float, it must vote.
At the launch young activists from the Our Future Our Choice anti-Brexit organisation were dressed up as crew members.
Our Future Our Choice's chief spokesperson Femi Oluwole said: 'This boat offers Parliament a lifeline away from the Titanic disaster that is this Brexit deal. It offers a realistic way out - not a dead-in-the-water Norway, nor a no deal that would sink the country.
You may also want to watch:
'Theresa May's government is floundering. Her Brexit plan has sunk without trace and she's up a creek without a paddle. She needs to go full steam ahead to a People's Vote: the only way out of this Brexit mess.
'For young people, this is a sink or swim moment. Under this deal they wouldn't be waving, but drowning, and that's why they're calling in huge numbers for a People's Vote.'
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 3 Who's on the BBC's Question Time tonight?
- 4 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 5 Fool's gold? Nigel Farage wants you to invest your trust in his financial advice service
- 6 The deep roots of Dominic Cummings' personal antipathy to the BBC
- 7 Tory MP who voted against her own party to support free school meals motion quits government in protest
- 8 'Shameful' Tory minister defends government memo attacking Marcus Rashford's free school meals call
- 9 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
- 10 Political commentator delivers blistering response to Tory backbenchers offended by Angela Rayner's slur
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.