People’s boat launched to ‘save sinking Parliament from a Titanic disaster’
- Credit: PA
Campaigners from Our Future, Our Choice have launched a people's boat in support of a People's Vote to throw Parliament a lifeline.
With Parliament floundering and the Conservative party at war with itself, campaigners hope the boat on the Thames outside the Commons will be a 'whimsical reminder of a serious message' - that the country is sinking under the weight of Brexit.
Dressed up as a lifeboat it is a reminder that in order for the country to float, it must vote.
At the launch young activists from the Our Future Our Choice anti-Brexit organisation were dressed up as crew members.
Our Future Our Choice's chief spokesperson Femi Oluwole said: 'This boat offers Parliament a lifeline away from the Titanic disaster that is this Brexit deal. It offers a realistic way out - not a dead-in-the-water Norway, nor a no deal that would sink the country.
You may also want to watch:
'Theresa May's government is floundering. Her Brexit plan has sunk without trace and she's up a creek without a paddle. She needs to go full steam ahead to a People's Vote: the only way out of this Brexit mess.
'For young people, this is a sink or swim moment. Under this deal they wouldn't be waving, but drowning, and that's why they're calling in huge numbers for a People's Vote.'
- 1 Brexit regret: Meet the Leave voters who wish they hadn't voted Leave
- 2 Boris Johnson vows action over 'absurd' post-Brexit trading arrangements
- 3 Defence minister Johnny Mercer 'trying to resign' - reports
- 4 Opposition parties push for probe into Boris Johnson's conduct following viral video
- 5 Government scraps Brexit permits to enter Kent
- 6 No 10 says Johnny Mercer is 'valued' minister as it attempts to stop him resigning
- 7 How will you vote in the upcoming elections?
- 8 Labour leader defends NHS after being kicked out of pub in Bath
- 9 Plan for White House-style briefings axed despite £2.6m spend on media room
- 10 Divided Britain: North and south more estranged than Scotland and England
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.