Trump-style ‘Boris Blimp’ unveiled for Saturday’s March for Change
- Credit: March for Change
A giant, oversized inflatable of a blonde and blustering politician will sail majestically over the heads of marchers in London this weekend. Sound familiar?
It certainly should. The anti-Brexit March for Change is taking place this weekend to send a message to our most likely next leader Boris Johnson, and organisers have unveiled their latest bid to get his attention.
MORE: All you need to know about the March for Change protest in LondonOrganisers of the march crowdfunded over £5,000 for a blimp that echoes the infamous 'Trump blimp' that was displayed during the US president's state visit this summer. The 'Boris blimp' shows a tousle-headed Johnson sporting a t-shirt with a bus on it, emblazoned with his empty promise of £350 million a week for the NHS.
"No to Boris, Yes to Europe" is the message that organisers, including Scientists for EU and Britain for Europe, want to send. The former foreign secretary has said he would be prepared to take the UK out of the country on a no-deal Brexit - and has not ruled out proroguing parliament to force it through - despite the fact that he would have been chosen by just 0.2% of the electorate.
Johnson is also Trump's preferred candidate and has so far been remarkably shy to stand up to the US president and back up British diplomatic interests. After the US president reacted badly to leaked cables from UK ambassador to the US, Sir Kim Darroch, critics noticed how Johnson refused to support Darroch, even as our partners in the EU did.
The Tory leadership race is now at its last hustings, and the winning candidate will be announced just three days after the march.
You may also want to watch:
Tom Brufatto, chair of Britain for Europe said: "The Boris Blimp might seem a bit of lighthearted fun but it carries a serious message. We will not allow Boris Johnson to float into Number 10 on a favourable tailwind, or have the summer off, unopposed, after so much hot air on Brexit, with so much at stake.
"We'd urge everyone who's disgusted by Boris Johnson's views on women, ethnic minorities, the LGBTQ+ communities, tax cuts for the rich to join us in London on Saturday, to send him that message, loud and clear.
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 3 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 4 Michael Gove's Brexit fantasy is leading us down a perilous path
- 5 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 6 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 7 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 8 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
- 9 WILL SELF: Two places where everyone knows your name
- 10 Priti Patel bullying inquiry may never be released, hints Boris Johnson's new civil service boss
"His utter contempt for British democracy, signalled by his willingness to shut down Parliament, must be challenged as he's about to receive the keys to Number 10."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.