Publication of Russian interference report ‘months not weeks away’
- Credit: AP
Boris Johnson's claim that publication of the report on Russian interference is 'weeks away' has been refuted by a journalist.
Mark Urban, BBC Newsnight's diplomatic editor, has claimed that the report is not likely to be published until later in the spring or even summer.
Earlier this week Boris Johnson squirmed as he was asked questions about the publication date by BBC Breakfast.
He said: "It will be published in due course.
"I don't know exactly when it's going to be published. There's absolutely no reason it should not be published."
You may also want to watch:
When pressed for a time-frame he said: "Weeks. I don't know how many".
But Urban tweeted: "I'm told it's likely some time between April and June."
- 1 Brexiteer Prue Leith quits Tory Party after government votes down motion to protect UK food standards
- 2 Piers Morgan must expose the government's Brexit betrayal
- 3 Public slams Brexit Party tweet which shames Tory MPs who voted against free school meals
- 4 Peers set to remove law-breaking sections of Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 5 Group in protest against Tory MPs who voted down free school meals targets offices with empty plates
- 6 Tory minister blames journalists for NHS Test and Trace failure as he defends Dido Harding
- 7 Michel Barnier postpones Brussels return as Brexit trade talks in London continue
- 8 James Cleverly mocked after telling people to 'look at how they're doing in Wales'
- 9 Dido Harding is struggling to defend the indefensible
- 10 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
He explained that only the new Intelligence and Security Committee can release the report as the findings were put together by the committee under former chairman Dominic Grieve.
Urban said that Number 10 has made a series of redactions to the report. He said that there are "no astounding revelations on election interference" and that it will remain a "mystery" what are behind the redactions and why it was not put out before the election.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.