Confusion as Boris Johnson appears to announce lockdown in Sheffield
- Credit: PA
The prime minister appeared to confuse Leicester and Sheffield as he explained local lockdowns at the latest Downing Street press briefing.
Asked why people should continue to follow the rules as pubs re-open after the suggestion people around him had flouted the guidelines, Boris Johnson told journalists: 'I don't want to have to go back to another national lockdown of that kind. We want to deal with local outbreaks with local lockdown measures.
'We're greatly assisted in our ability to do that by the test and trace operation.
'We've seen it working in Kirklees, in Ashford, in Weston-super-Mare, and we've just had to do a big one now in Sheffield'.
His remarks prompted confusion on social media, with some viewers living in the area alarmed by the news.
But others were working on the assumption that the out-of-touch prime minister had mixed-up the city with Leicester.
You may also want to watch:
Michael Markis, a professor at the University of Sheffield, asked: 'Has Boris lost it or has there been an outbreak of #COVID19 in Sheffield that none of us knew about? Did he mean to say Leicester or has he got plans for Sheffield?'
'Does he think Sheffield is Leicester?!' questioned Jon Campey.
- 1 Would Javid have renamed ICU wards 'Drama Queen Zones'?
- 2 Empty shelves are partly down to Brexit - but Leavers won't admit it
- 3 Has something shifted in sado-populist Britain?
- 4 The Spanish village with the mythical blue lagoon
- 5 Priti Patel - the poster girl for our poisonous politics
- 6 Rabbits defeat French army
- 7 Ed Vaizey overtakes Paul Dacre in the Ofcom race
- 8 My favourite new Freedom is avoiding selfish anti-maskers
- 9 What IS the liberal response to the migrant crisis?
- 10 Telling the truth is now the only sackable offence
'Leicester? Sheffield? It's all somewhere north of Eton in Johnson's mind,' wrote Sarah Cure.
BBC journalist Dan Walker joked: 'Further proof from Boris Johnson that most people have Sheffield on the brain #SheffieldIsSuper'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.