Confusion as Boris Johnson appears to announce lockdown in Sheffield
- Credit: PA
The prime minister appeared to confuse Leicester and Sheffield as he explained local lockdowns at the latest Downing Street press briefing.
Asked why people should continue to follow the rules as pubs re-open after the suggestion people around him had flouted the guidelines, Boris Johnson told journalists: 'I don't want to have to go back to another national lockdown of that kind. We want to deal with local outbreaks with local lockdown measures.
'We're greatly assisted in our ability to do that by the test and trace operation.
'We've seen it working in Kirklees, in Ashford, in Weston-super-Mare, and we've just had to do a big one now in Sheffield'.
His remarks prompted confusion on social media, with some viewers living in the area alarmed by the news.
But others were working on the assumption that the out-of-touch prime minister had mixed-up the city with Leicester.
You may also want to watch:
Michael Markis, a professor at the University of Sheffield, asked: 'Has Boris lost it or has there been an outbreak of #COVID19 in Sheffield that none of us knew about? Did he mean to say Leicester or has he got plans for Sheffield?'
'Does he think Sheffield is Leicester?!' questioned Jon Campey.
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 3 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 4 Michael Gove's Brexit fantasy is leading us down a perilous path
- 5 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 6 WILL SELF: Two places where everyone knows your name
- 7 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 8 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 9 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
- 10 Priti Patel bullying inquiry may never be released, hints Boris Johnson's new civil service boss
'Leicester? Sheffield? It's all somewhere north of Eton in Johnson's mind,' wrote Sarah Cure.
BBC journalist Dan Walker joked: 'Further proof from Boris Johnson that most people have Sheffield on the brain #SheffieldIsSuper'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.