Boris Johnson says he is ‘changing a lot of nappies during lockdown’
- Credit: PA
Boris Johnson has counteracted claims he takes long power naps during the day since contracting coronavirus to claim he is being kept busy at home during lockdown.
The prime minister and Carrie Symonds welcomed their son Wilfred at the end of April - and he is said to be spending a lot of time changing the baby's nappies.
The couple named him Wilfred Lawrie Nicholas Johnson in a tribute to their grandfathers and the doctors who helped save Johnson's life.
The prime minister said he has been heavily involved in the seven-week-old child's daily life.
'I've changed a lot of nappies, I want you to know,' Johnson said on Friday during a visit to a Hertfordshire school, in comments carried by the Daily Mail.
You may also want to watch:
It comes after the PM was asked at last Tuesday's daily Downing Street press conference: 'How is Wilfred getting on? Is he keeping you awake at night, has he seen his grandparents yet?'
The PM replied: 'I never normally comment about these sorts of things but it's all fine so far ... All doing well.'
- 1 Leave EU website suspended after EU registry blocks move to Ireland
- 2 Priti Patel fails to appear in Commons to answer questions on missing police records
- 3 Boris Johnson blames seafood companies for post-Brexit sales slump
- 4 The Tory MPs who failed to vote against a Universal Credit cut
- 5 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 6 Comedian wins praise after shaming No 10 during Dancing on Ice appearance
- 7 Iain Duncan Smith defends calling Donald Trump 'a decent man'
- 8 The bigot we should have called out on day one
- 9 Kwasi Kwarteng confirms post-Brexit review of workers' rights
- 10 Bob Geldof vindicated over pro-EU fishing stunt, suggests broadcaster
Symonds, 32, posted a picture on Instagram of her cradling Wilfred at the beginning of May but the baby has not yet been seen in public.
The new family are understood to be living in their Downing Street flat along with their dog Dilyn.
Wilfred is Symonds's first child while Johnson is known to have fathered five others.
He is also the third baby born to a serving prime minister in recent history.
It was reported earlier this month Johnson was taking daily 'power naps' of up to three hours a day, whilst also making use of tennis courts around London, to ensure he is fit and healthy after coronavirus.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.