Boris Johnson empty chaired at his own constituency hustings
- Credit: Archant
The prime minister was empty chaired at a hustings in his own constituency after he 'couldn't be bothered' to turn up.
Proving once again how little Boris Johnson cares about his own constituents, the prime minister failed to show up to a local hustings at his seat in Uxbridge and South Ruislip.
Ali Milani, the Labour candidate running against Johnson in his seat, tweeted a photo of the empty chair where Johnson should have been sitting, saying that Johnson had been empty chaired.
Milani, favoured by many as the most likely candidate to oust the prime minister from his own seat, said: "Those who come from the 'born to rule' political class believe they are above accountability.
"My challenge, similar to Andrew Neil: there is time. Any time, any place, show up and debate me."
You may also want to watch:
Johnson has repeatedly refused to debate Milani throughout this election campaign, despite his majority in the constituency being thin.
READ MORE: Boris Johnson goes back on Heathrow expansion promise to lie down in front of bulldozersREAD MORE: Boris Johnson targeted by protesters in Andrew Neil masks at Grimsby fish marketIn the end the prime minister was replaced by Count Binface - formerly known as Lord Buckethead - who said he had to take the frit prime minister's seat.
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 3 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 4 Michael Gove's Brexit fantasy is leading us down a perilous path
- 5 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 6 WILL SELF: Two places where everyone knows your name
- 7 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 8 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 9 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
- 10 Brexit shambles: A stress of our own making
While the other constituents debated hotly contested issues such as the expansion to Heathrow, Johnson and his views were left missing.
Mocking the prime minister's absence, Count Binface said: "What about Boris? He said he would lie in front of the bulldozers. That is the one good reason I can think for building it. He's sort of proved his point."
The room laughed at the suggestion, with one constituent saying: "I think I've entered a slightly parallel universe here this evening, to be fair, where the most credible candidate seems to be Count Binface."
Count Binface has actually called for constituents in Uxbridge to give their vote to Labour's Ali Milani, "the candidate with the best chance of beating Boris Johnson."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.