Letter: Boris’ “f**k business” outburst makes his position untenable
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Surely even Theresa May must agree that Boris Johnson's alleged response of 'f*** business' to a question at a diplomatic event about business concerns about Brexit renders his position untenable.
For most of us in the UK, business is essential to our very survival. Business provides employment. Business enables us to put a meal on our family's table, to clothe our children, and to pay the mortgage or the rent. And it is business that generates the taxes which should be used responsibly to fund our NHS, our social care, our police, our libraries and our schools.
If business owners consider that Brexit poses a threat to their ability to operate competitively in the UK, they have every right to state that. They are under no obligation to unite behind what they see as a potentially extremely damaging government policy of seeking to leave the customs union. Had Boris Johnson been employed in business he would long since have been handed his P45. Who in business could get away with such incompetence and yet keep their job?
Allowing him to continue in the position of foreign secretary causes untold damage to our country, both at a domestic level and on the global stage. It is a grave dereliction of May's duty to act in the best interests of the British people.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 The bigot we should have called out on day one
- 2 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 3 Nigel Farage launches new party in Scotland to promote 'positive case for the Union'
- 4 Matt Hancock praises free school meals before being reminded he voted against them
- 5 Brexit changes lead to exodus of Brits from Spain, UK nationals claim
- 6 James O'Brien schools Brexiteer who refuses to accept new EU-UK trade rules
- 7 Brexiteer rebuked after backing Nigel Farage's 'East Germany' claims
- 8 Brexiteer MP ridiculed after calling for free movement of goods between GB and NI
- 9 Tory candidate suspended by party over comments about ‘fat’ food bank user
- 10 No 10 defends Stanley Johnson receiving two coronavirus vaccines while others don't
Send your letters for publication in The New European to email@example.com
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.