Letter: Boris’ “f**k business” outburst makes his position untenable
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Surely even Theresa May must agree that Boris Johnson's alleged response of 'f*** business' to a question at a diplomatic event about business concerns about Brexit renders his position untenable.
For most of us in the UK, business is essential to our very survival. Business provides employment. Business enables us to put a meal on our family's table, to clothe our children, and to pay the mortgage or the rent. And it is business that generates the taxes which should be used responsibly to fund our NHS, our social care, our police, our libraries and our schools.
If business owners consider that Brexit poses a threat to their ability to operate competitively in the UK, they have every right to state that. They are under no obligation to unite behind what they see as a potentially extremely damaging government policy of seeking to leave the customs union. Had Boris Johnson been employed in business he would long since have been handed his P45. Who in business could get away with such incompetence and yet keep their job?
Allowing him to continue in the position of foreign secretary causes untold damage to our country, both at a domestic level and on the global stage. It is a grave dereliction of May's duty to act in the best interests of the British people.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Could Mexican Coke spark a new Coca-Cola cold war?
- 2 A view from inside the Heathrow petri dish
- 3 The reverse Midas touch of Michael Gove
- 4 First black female mayor elected in Liverpool as Labour holds on to role
- 5 Dominic Raab 'chickened out' of a no-deal Brexit, Michel Barnier says
- 6 Nicola Sturgeon concedes Holyrood majority for SNP is a ‘very long shot’
- 7 Keir Starmer faces a ‘mountain to climb’ after Hartlepool defeat
- 8 Labour claims ‘extraordinary results’ in Welsh Parliament election
- 9 Welsh Labour 'exceeding expectations' as party confident of winning Leanne Wood's seat
Send your letters for publication in The New European to email@example.com
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.