Boris Johnson heckled by angry Conservative member at latest hustings
- Credit: PA
Boris Johnson was heckled during a Conservative leadership hustings in Cheltenham.
Johnson has come under pressure for his comments over Britain's ambassador to the US Sir Kim Darroch in the row over the leak of his diplomatic dispatches.
His lack of explicit support for the envoy in Tuesday's TV leadership debate following a tirade of abuse from US President Donald Trump was widely seen as the final straw in his decision to quit.
But the former foreign secretary insisted his comments in the debate had been "misrepresented" and denied withholding his backing.
Johnson said he telephoned Sir Kim who told him he had not actually watched the debate although his comments had been passed on to him by someone else.
You may also want to watch:
"He said that what somebody had relayed to him had been a factor in his resignation," Johnson said.
"I think that unfortunately what I said on that TV debate was misrepresented to Kim."
- 1 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 2 Remainers blamed for Boris Johnson's inability to secure Brexit deal
- 3 Leaked government dossier warns of army street patrols if second Covid-19 wave and no-deal Brexit hit UK at same time
- 4 Brexiteer admits 'Australia-style deal' term designed to 'pull wool over voters' eyes'
- 5 Government told to publish impact assessments for Boris Johnson's 'Narnia' deal with EU
- 6 Michael Gove challenged over remarks UK 'holds all the cards' in Brexit talks
- 7 Nicola Sturgeon, Jacinda Adern and Angela Merkel in top 5 of world’s most eloquent leaders
- 8 Minister finally concedes 'Australia-style deal' is a no-deal Brexit
- 9 Boris Johnson told to apologise for incompetence in delivering his 'oven-ready' Brexit deal
- 10 Brexiteer Dyson to sell Singapore penthouse days after denying he'd abandoned Britain
Johnson's attempts to skirt around the questioning prompted one angry audience member to shout: "Just answer the bloody question".
Interviewer Iain Dale noted it was the first heckle of the hustings so far.
The man who heckled Boris did not wish to give his name to the press.
But the 74-year-old from Cirencester, Gloucestershire, told PA: "Why not answer the question that he is asked?
"He was asked did he regret what he did or didn't say about the ambassador - he just said 'I thought it was terrible that this stuff was leaked'.
"He did the same over Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe.
"The awful thing is he doesn't need to.
"He needs to learn that he can safely say 'I got that wrong, I'm sorry, I will do it better'."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.