Boris Johnson mocked after announcing he’s joining Snapchat
- Credit: Archant
Boris Johnson has been mocked after announcing he's joining multimedia message platform Snapchat.
The prime minister announced the move with a tweet shortly before he was due to deliver his keynote speech at the Conservative conference in Manchester, saying it would give followers a chance to "see more about what I'm doing as your prime minister".
The prime minister used his first posts on Snapchat to reiterate his priorities, including "get Brexit done", "better hospitals" and "20,000 more police".
Johnson has more than a million followers on his personal Twitter account, nearly 750,000 on Facebook and around 200,000 on Instagram.
The move to join Snapchat will viewed by Tory HQ as an attempt to connect with younger voters.
You may also want to watch:
The app, which has 203 million daily users according to figures released this summer, is perhaps best known for its popular face filters.
"Someone's been having more technology lessons," joked Marc Morris in reference to the Jennifer Arcuri story.
- 1 Boris Johnson warned majority will be 'wiped out' over treatment towards north of England
- 2 Boris Johnson 'frantically repositioning' himself for Donald Trump to lose election
- 3 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 4 James Cleverly mocked after telling people to 'look at how they're doing in Wales'
- 5 Piers Morgan must expose the government's Brexit betrayal
- 6 Minister says Dido Harding is working '19-hours a day' on Test and Trace
- 7 Third Tory MP who rejected extending free school meals is targeted with local protests
- 8 Second shop owner bans Tory MPs who voted against free school meals motion
- 9 Brexiteer Prue Leith quits Tory Party after government votes down motion to protect UK food standards
- 10 Piers Morgan calls Boris Johnson a 'blustering buffoon' in attack on PM's handling of Covid-19 pandemic
"Katie Hopkins nudes incoming..." scoffed another.
"Is this... a parody account?" responded Emma Whizz.
"Glad he's using his time productively" said Paul Perkins.
"A platform on which anything said/done is erased and forgotten after 24 hours? how on brand. Kudos", said Liam O'Toole.
"Or you can resign and become an Influencer as a full time job" replied Matt Johnson.
"Last thing that app needs is more dick pics" joked Dai Lama.
"Hey Boris, Ellen DeGeneres just called... she wants her avi back" tweeted Jonathan Pie.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.