Boris Johnson’s Brexit proposal is so ludicrous the EU asked if there was some mistake
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
EU negotiators were so unimpressed by Boris Johnson's new Brexit proposals they asked if there had been some mistake, it has been revealed.
Boris Johnson's recent bid to secure a Withdrawal Agreement with the EU has been greeted with enormous scepticism by leaders.
But as the government's chief 'sherpa' David Frost returns to Brussels to continue negotiations, new reports have emerged on just how tone deaf the proposal was to the EU.
MORE: Donald Tusk hits out at Boris Johnson's Brexit 'stupid blame game'WATCH: Boris Johnson's new proposal "nearly impossible", says Guy VerhofstadtDiplomats went back to the UK to check that the proposal was really what the UK had intended to submit.
Article 1 of the proposed agreement would commit both the EU and the UK to agree never to introduce checks at the Irish border - which is what the EU wants in order to protect the Good Friday Agreement.
Yet the proposal would put a customs border between the two Irish nations and a second regulatory one in the Irish sea, without specifying how this could be achieved without physical border infrastructure.
You may also want to watch:
The proposal also offers the Northern Irish Assembly - which has not sat for three years - a veto on the agreement, which takes any say out of the EU's hands and has the potential to undo the principle of Article 1.
The UK also insists on continued access to EU databases for cross-border trade, and wants small businesses excluded from customs checks, prompting concerns about smuggling.
- 1 Jacob Rees-Mogg says it's 'all the EU's fault' musicians can't tour Europe
- 2 This chumocracy is costing our country
- 3 Bob Geldof takes swipe at No 10 saying 'lying is second nature' to them
- 4 Tory MP complains 'less scrutiny of trade deals' than when UK was in EU
- 5 Piers Morgan tells Gavin Williamson to resign for being a 'catastrophe'
- 6 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 7 No 10 says Biden removing Churchill bust ‘up to president’ despite Obama attack
- 8 Who's on the BBC's Question Time tonight?
- 9 Priti Patel 'may have broken ministerial code' over border comments, suggests Keir Starmer
- 10 Susanna Reid takes on Priti Patel over government's gaslighting of public on coronavirus
A statement from an unnamed Number 10 source - widely assumed to be Dominic Cummings - has reacted bullishly to the early objections from EU leaders, threatening to put uncooperative EU countries to the back of the queue for future negotiations.
It is unclear how this would work as the EU negotiates as a bloc.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.