Boris Johnson’s use of a mop is the perfect metaphor for his handling of Brexit
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
A video of Boris Johnson attempting to use a mop - and failing miserably - has been branded the perfect metaphor for his handling of Brexit.
Johnson was visiting Matlock in Derbyshire following the widespread flooding which hit large parts of northern England.
As security waited outside a Specsavers store he was handed a mop as part of a photo opportunity to help with the clean-up operation, but appeared to make matters worse, rather than better.
His failure to use the cleaning instrument has prompted more criticisms that the prime minister is out of touch with ordinary people.
A majority however claimed it was the perfect metaphor for his handling of Brexit.
You may also want to watch:
Comedian David Schenider wrote: "In today's Metaphors For Brexit, man brought in to clean up mess actually makes things worse."
Journaist Hannah Al-Othman tweeted: "He's as good at mopping as he is at delivering Brexit by October 31st".
- 1 The Spanish village with the mythical blue lagoon
- 2 Empty shelves are partly down to Brexit - but Leavers won't admit it
- 3 Rabbits defeat French army
- 4 Would Javid have renamed ICU wards 'Drama Queen Zones'?
- 5 Party politics will not save us from the Tories - we need drastic action
- 6 Has something shifted in sado-populist Britain?
- 7 Ed Vaizey overtakes Paul Dacre in the Ofcom race
- 8 Priti Patel - the poster girl for our poisonous politics
- 9 Boris Johnson: The sado-populist prime minister
- 10 Cost of Brexit is already 38 times more than the money set aside for levelling up
Campaign group Slough for Europe posted: "This man can't work out how to mop a floor. But somehow a fair chunk of the country believe he could sort out Brexit quickly..."
Others quipped about how badly the publicity had turned out for Johnson.
One tweeted: "Yesterday Boris Johnson turned up in Matlock to mop up in Specsavers. Had these people not been through enough already?"
Ian Gunster said: "Mental how the current prime minister doesn't know how to mop a floor".
Laura Steele added: "Ok so we know Boris can't use a microwave or oven we can add a mop onto that list. He's just moving the dirty water round the floor."
Another wrote: "Man has obviously never held a mop in his life. This is the guy who's in touch with the working class?"
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.