This is a coup - and it’s not what the electorate voted for
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
WILL DRY gives his reaction on Boris Johnson's plan to suspend parliament ahead of the Brexit deadline date, and calls for everyone to work together to block the coup.
Today, Boris Johnson announced that he's planning to undermine democracy in the UK. It's a coup. There is no other way to say this. I will stop short of calling him a traitor, because, unlike the editors of the Daily Mail, I believe that word should be reserved for those who deserve it. Johnson doesn't.
You may also want to watch:
All he's threatening to do is to suspend our parliamentary democracy so that he can force a devastating No Deal Brexit upon us. Who could possibly have a problem with that?
- 1 Empty shelves are partly down to Brexit - but Leavers won't admit it
- 2 Why Bristol is the street art city
- 3 What I learned by avoiding England and the Euros
- 4 Telling the truth is now the only sackable offence
- 5 Has something shifted in sado-populist Britain?
- 6 Cost of Brexit is already 38 times more than the money set aside for levelling up
- 7 Boris Johnson: The sado-populist prime minister
- 8 A very nearly enchanted evening
- 9 Priti Patel - the poster girl for our poisonous politics
- 10 Brexit stripped me of my Britishness
Let us for a moment forget the fact that Johnson was elected by 0.14% of the UK, that his mandate to govern, let alone decide the future of our country's relationship with the EU, is thinner than a coat of lead-based paint.
Let's forget that the UK electorate has clearly said, both in the 2017 general election and the 2019 european elections, that they don't want a No Deal Brexit, and that the vast majority would prefer for Brexit to be scrapped entirely rather than face crashing out of the EU on WTO terms.
Finally, let's forget that No Deal wasn't on the ballot paper in 2016, that, come October, three million young people who weren't able to vote will have come of age, and that we have been told that the government said it "cannot guarantee that people will not die as a consequence of No Deal".
When you've forgotten all of that, you're almost ready to live in a Johnson-led dictatorship.
This is real. It's happening right before our eyes, and we have to stop him. We have to #blockthecoup. Click this link to sign our petition and join the fight.
- Will Dry Spokesperson and Co-Founder of Our Future, Our Choice
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.