Boris Johnson to cancel weekend press briefings ‘due to low ratings’
- Credit: PA
The daily Downing Street press conferences will no longer take place at weekends, Number 10 has said.
Boris Johnson, who has appeared at 12 press conferences so far, will lead at least one briefing a week from now on, alongside scientific and medical experts.
The prime minister's official spokesman told a Westminster briefing: 'From this week, the press conferences will be on weekdays only, so no longer on Saturdays and Sundays.
'The PM will take a press conference every week alongside... the scientific and medical experts.
'Others will be led by secretaries of state, alongside scientific and medical experts where relevant.'
You may also want to watch:
Asked why the change was being made, the spokesman said: 'It is just a fact that the numbers who are viewing at weekends do tend to be significantly lower.'
Number 10 insisted the government was 'absolutely committed to keeping people updated'.
- 1 Labour leader defends NHS after being kicked out of pub in Bath
- 2 Opposition parties push for probe into Boris Johnson's conduct following viral video
- 3 ‘I should not have listened to Cameron’ – Former European Commission president
- 4 A chapter is over for Britain, for good or ill
- 5 The biggest scandal may be that no rules were broken
- 6 Russell Kane: Why working class people like Boris Johnson
- 7 Scottish Tory leader accused of 'nonsense' excuse for Boris Johnson avoiding Scotland
- 8 The deep-seated issues beneath Sofagate
- 9 Welsh government takes Westminster to court over post-Brexit bill
- 10 Annalena Baerbock: Can the Queen of Green seize the Bundestag?
The concern about television ratings reflects US president Donald Trump's attitude to briefings, but in April he boasted that his White House news conference ratings are 'through the roof'.
He has since stopped holding the briefings after saying they were 'not worth' the time and effort.
Health secretary Matt Hancock has led the most Downing Street press conferences so far, totalling 17 as of Tuesday, while foreign secretary Dominic Raab has taken 11.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.