Boris Johnson is treating the UK ‘like a laboratory’, claims professor
- Credit: PA
Boris Johnson is treating the UK 'like a laboratory' by ignoring what has worked in other parts of the world in his response to the coronavirus pandemic.
Professor Ellis Cashmore from Aston University was left distinctly unimpressed by new announcements on the easing of the lockdown.
He told LBC's Nick Ferrari: 'We have a prime minister now who is taking advice or instructions from a group of scientists who seem to imagine society as like a laboratory.
'They are designing something that they want to see happen. Not necessarily observing the world around them and responding to it, but designing it as a lab experiment.'
He cites the example of support bubbles as something he believed was an 'experiment' along with how they are trying to return children to school so quickly.
You may also want to watch:
He said he thinks people are now breaking the guidelines frequently - and that Johnson's vision for the easing of lockdown is no longer realistic.
'The reality is this: We've just come out of a weekend where we saw images of thousands of people protesting all over the country who are clearly violating the protocols in their particular countries. There's no observation of bubbles or anything like it.'
- 1 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 2 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 3 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 4 Tory minister branded 'disgraceful' after dismissing child hunger in Britain as something that has 'been going on for years'
- 5 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 6 UK Business leaders describe Brexit call with Boris Johnson and Michael Gove as 'pointless'
- 7 Fool's gold? Nigel Farage wants you to invest your trust in his financial advice service
- 8 Leaked memo exposes government fears over rise in support for Scottish independence
- 9 Ex-civil service chief takes swipe at Dominic Cummings while criticising government's Covid-19 response
- 10 PMQs Review: The one where it was grim up north
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.