UK to begin process of purchasing sat-nav system after pulling out of EU scheme
- Credit: Archant
Britain has begun the process of purchasing its own satellite navigation system for defence and critical national infrastructure purposes, according to reports.
The Times says prime minister Boris Johnson and chancellor Rishi Sunak signed off on the purchase of a 20% stake in satellite operator OneWeb on Thursday night, after the UK was unable to access the EU's Galileo satellite navigation system because of Brexit.
The PM agreed 'to put up about £500 million' of taxpayer money for the purchase, according to the Financial Times, which said the funds were part of a larger private sector consortium bid.
The FT also said Johnson's chief adviser Dominic Cummings was 'instrumental' in pushing for the UK's involvement in the bid, as the Government seeks a system that will support mobile phones and provide vital location information for the military and businesses.
OneWeb filed for bankruptcy in March in the US, where most of its operations are located, after failing to secure new funding.
You may also want to watch:
It is headquartered in Britain and has 74 satellites in orbit along with plans for hundreds more.
Previously, the UK aimed to build its own global navigation satellite system, at a cost estimated by independent experts of £3-£5 billion.
- 1 European parliament agrees to add British overseas territories to post-Brexit tax haven blacklist
- 2 Pro-Brexit fishing campaigner says Boris Johnson's deal has left her with 'no fish'
- 3 Minister terminates interview after suggesting public's age and weight to blame for UK's high death toll
- 4 This picture of Boris Johnson on the phone to Joe Biden has caused a stir
- 5 Telegraph columnist blames Angela Merkel for Brexit
- 6 Boris Johnson to visit Scotland this week in attempt to shore up the union
- 7 Brexiteer calls for UK to save Eurostar - by buying it and renaming it 'Britstar'
- 8 Petition launched to cancel 'festival of Brexit' event in 2022
- 9 Brussels to launch campaign teaching younger Britons about the EU
- 10 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
Then-prime minister Theresa May said in December 2018 that Britain expected to work with the US and other 'Five Eyes' partners.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.