Brexit zealots behind Boris Johnson’s bid to be PM
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Blustering, bumbling and bilious though it was, Boris Johnson's Brexit broadside has ignited Tory conference.
More than 1,400 delegates queued for up to two hours to get in and their hero received a rapturous welcome.
But the truth is he offered little in the way of detail. In fact instead of outlining his plan for Brexit he was reduced to listing his achievements as London mayor.
But the faithful didn't care.
They don't want to hear about how to solve the Irish border issue or how Britain's ports could come to a standstill and planes grounded. They don't care that business is terrified of no-deal or that expert after expert keeps warning us we are better off with a close relationship to the EU.
You may also want to watch:
They just want to get out. These are the Brexit zealots of the Tory party – and Johnson sees them as his route to Number 10.
He knows the prime minister is wobbling and he is ready. We should all be very afraid.
- 1 Politics is moving back to a battlefield which does not suit Boris Johnson
- 2 Government scraps Pick for Britain programme after Brits fill as few as 5% of roles
- 3 Boris Johnson still has questions to answer about Caribbean holiday
- 4 Salmon industry insist officials miscalculated post-Brexit export figures
- 5 Government to dissolve parliament ahead of Queen’s Speech
- 6 French skippers blockade lorries carrying UK-landed fish in protest against post-Brexit fishing rules
- 7 Ex-minister says Boris Johnson's government is a 'cesspit' where 'almost nobody' tells the truth
- 8 Poll: Laurence Fox in joint last place with Count Binface in race for London mayor
- 9 Brexit regret: Meet the Leave voters who wish they hadn't voted Leave
- 10 Keir Starmer's day will come
Because Johnson's leadership of this country would be much the same as this speech: loud, brash and utterly vacuous.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.