Boris Johnson told to ‘stop ducking Brexit reality’ in new stunt from young activists
- Credit: Archant
Young anti-Brexit campaigners have flooded the street outside Boris Johnson's campaign HQ with yellow rubber ducks to call on the Tory MP to 'stop ducking Brexit reality'.
The activists, from Our Future Our Choice, deployed the the ducks with the hashtag #BoJoNoShow because they believe Boris Johnson is ducking the British people and the Brexit reality in his bid to become prime minister.
A group spokesperson said: "Since his leadership campaign launch, Boris Johnson has skipped two primetime head-to-head debates with his fellow leadership contenders. The number of interviews he's done can be counted on one hand. He's yet to do a single event open to the general public, and has not campaigned in public either. He is ducking the British people.
"He is also ducking the Brexit reality. All of his plans for Brexit are not credible, derided by Brexiteers in his own party like Liam Fox, and branded by figures in Brussels as 'bullshit.' He has told Remainers in his party that he will avoid No Deal, yet promised Brexiters in his party that we will leave on 31st October 'do or die.'"
Ed Shackle, one of the Our Future Our Choice campaigners involved in the stunt, said: "As a Conservative member, I find it deeply upsetting that Boris Johnson is trying to become prime minister whilst ducking the British people and the Brexit reality. How can we trust him to lead until he starts engaging with the general public and confronting the reality of the Brexit mess?"
You may also want to watch:
The campaign tweeted that, unlike the potential Tory leader, they had "cleared up their mess" shortly after.
Last year the same campaigners help Boris to move out of his 'lad pad' when he quit as foreign secretary. They donned overalls and provided his home with cardboard boxes.
- 1 The true cost of Brexit is becoming clearer
- 2 John Bercow: It's time to rage against the liar on the right
- 3 Be careful what you wish for... voting reform could kill Labour
- 4 Boris Johnson's awkward moment with the Queen
- 5 Why have Remainers gone so quiet?
- 6 MATT FREI: Brexit posed a question... and we haven't even begun to answer it
- 7 PMQs: Ian Blackford drops truth bomb over post-Brexit trade deal with Australia
- 8 Brexiteers propose return of imperial measurements in report on reducing 'red tape'
- 9 How the Kominsky Method grapples with growing old
- 10 Dominic Cummings explains why Boris Johnson didn't do Andrew Neil interview
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.