EU urges Boris Johnson to take ‘unique and highly attractive’ offer over Brexit
- Credit: Mike Brooke
An EU official has urged Boris Johnson to take the 'unique and highly attractive' offer it has made to the UK which it says has never been offered to any country before.
David McAllister, the chair of the European Parliament's UK Coordination Group, told German newspaper Börsen-Zeitung the EU had made 'a unique and highly attractive offer to the UK that has never been made to a third country: quota-free and duty-free access for goods to the single market'.
But he said in the interest of 'fair competition' that the UK must accept the level playing field to progress in negotiations.
McAllister said as well the level-playing field there needed to be a long-term fisheries agreement and a 'robust' system of governance which the European Court of Justice (ECJ) would oversee.
'For the EU it is not negotiable that the ECJ is the only institution that is allowed to interpret EU law.'
You may also want to watch:
He warned that a no-deal Brexit would have 'considerable consequences', explaining: 'A disorderly withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the internal market and the customs union would still be a very bad option for both sides.'
McAllister said that a deal needed to be reached by the end of October to ensure it can be ratified by the EU in time by the end of the year.
This week former Brexit secretary David Davis urged the government to send more civil servants to Brussels to help speed up the process.
- 1 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 2 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 3 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 4 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 5 Leaked memo exposes government fears over rise in support for Scottish independence
- 6 UK Business leaders describe Brexit call with Boris Johnson and Michael Gove as 'pointless'
- 7 ERG MP says Boris Johnson should consider cutting ties with Church of England following Brexit row
- 8 Tory minister branded 'disgraceful' after dismissing child hunger in Britain as something that has 'been going on for years'
- 9 Diane Abbott accuses Keir Starmer of having 'other motives' while shadow Brexit secretary
- 10 Fool's gold? Nigel Farage wants you to invest your trust in his financial advice service
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.