Government urged to act over Mike Ashley and Tim Martin’s treatment of workers
- Credit: PA
The prime minister has been urged to act over the treatment of workers during the coronavirus outbreak by Sports Direct and Newcastle owner Mike Ashley, and Wetherspoons boss Tim Martin.
Both companies have faced heavy criticism over their handling of staff welfare, with conflicting messages over pay and working hours.
Ashley's Frasers Group has been attacked for telling workers at Sports Direct they must still turn up to stores, despite a government shutdown, while staff at his Jack Wills chain were also in work on Tuesday.
Martin's Wetherspoons chain wrote to workers telling them they will no longer be paid, saying he would only start payments again once the government's scheme to cover 80% of wages is in place.
The actions of Frasers Group boss Ashley were raised in parliament by Newcastle upon Tyne Central MP Chi Onwurah.
You may also want to watch:
She said: 'Not all businesses are doing the right thing and I am particularly thinking of Mike Ashley forcing workers into empty Sports Direct shops.'
Prime minister Boris Johnson said: 'The instruction to the gentleman in question, and indeed every business, is to follow what the government has said, to obey the rules or to expect the consequences.
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 3 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 4 Michael Gove's Brexit fantasy is leading us down a perilous path
- 5 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 6 WILL SELF: Two places where everyone knows your name
- 7 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 8 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 9 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
- 10 Priti Patel bullying inquiry may never be released, hints Boris Johnson's new civil service boss
'That is the best way to look after not just their employees but their businesses as well.'
The chairman of the Business Select Committee Rachel Reeves, meanwhile, has asked the bosses for a response by Friday as to how they are protecting workers during the outbreak
She has asked for 'detailed information about the measures that Wetherspoons is taking to support its employees during the current coronavirus crisis'.
She said: 'This is a national emergency, and governments, citizens and businesses are taking unprecedented measures to protect lives and livelihoods.
'I was therefore disappointed to read that you have not indicated whether you intend to cover the wages of your staff until government support comes through.
'This is despite other companies in your industry guaranteeing that they will pay their staff for at least eight weeks.
'Furthermore, you also seem to have suggested that when the government do pay 80% of your staff's wages, you might not pay the other 20%.
'Finally, I am deeply concerned that while you encourage your workforce to consider working for supermarkets, you note that if they do, you will give them 'first preference' if they 'want to come back'.'
- How many of your staff will be furloughed?
- Will you pay your staff's wages up until the Government's money comes through?
- Will you pay the remaining 20% of your staff's wages when Government support begins?
- How you will pay and treat staff that you employ who are on zero-hour contracts?
- Will your staff have to reapply for their jobs when the present crisis is over?
In the letter to Ashley by the select committee, Ms Reeves said: 'I am writing to ask for detailed information about the measures that Sports Direct, House of Fraser and Newcastle United Football Club are taking to support their employees during the current coronavirus crisis.'
- (What is) the proportion of staff designated as 'furloughed workers' on full-time, part-time and zero-hours contracts?
- The number of staff who will be made redundant.
- Confirmation that Sports Direct, House of Fraser and Newcastle United will continue to pay the wages of staff in full until the funding from the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme becomes available.
- Whether any extra staff taken on for deliveries will be paid the National Living Wage.
Both letters are signed: 'Given the gravity of the situation, I would appreciate a reply by Friday 27 March.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.