Breakaway pro-EU MPs formally set up new party to fight Euro elections
- Credit: Yui Mok/PA Wire
The Independent Group formed by breakaway ex-Labour and Tory MPs has become a fully-fledged political party and will fight the European elections.
The new party, Change UK - The Independent Group, will stand on a pro-EU platform calling for a second referendum.
The party claims to have had more than 3,700 applications from people wanting to stand as Change UK candidates in the March 23 poll and it has begun the process of shortlisting and interviewing potential MEPs.
Some 70 candidates will be fielded by the party after it completed the registration process with the Electoral Commission.
Change UK's interim leader Heidi Allen said: 'This is a fight for Britain's voice in Europe - and we have been overwhelmed by the thousands of people wanting to roll up their sleeves and join our campaign from every walk of life and every corner of the country.
You may also want to watch:
'Change UK - The Independent Group have a clear message in the European elections: we demand a People's Vote and, if it is held, all our MPs will campaign to remain in and reform the European Union.'
She pleaded for donations to a 'fighting fund' to allow Change UK to challenge the established parties.
- 1 The bigot we should have called out on day one
- 2 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 3 Nigel Farage launches new party in Scotland to promote 'positive case for the Union'
- 4 Matt Hancock praises free school meals before being reminded he voted against them
- 5 The worryingly familiar signs for Britain's vaccine roll-out
- 6 Brexiteer MP ridiculed after calling for free movement of goods between GB and NI
- 7 Brexit changes lead to exodus of Brits from Spain, UK nationals claim
- 8 Brexiteer says he'd never have voted for Brexit 'if we knew we'd lose our jobs'
- 9 Fears government could scrap workers' rights in post-Brexit overhaul of labour laws
- 10 Katie Hopkins joins UKIP in time for leadership contest
'We are David, and they are Goliath - but we can do this together,' she said.
The party will launch its election campaign on April 23.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.