Breakaway pro-EU MPs formally set up new party to fight Euro elections
- Credit: Yui Mok/PA Wire
The Independent Group formed by breakaway ex-Labour and Tory MPs has become a fully-fledged political party and will fight the European elections.
The new party, Change UK - The Independent Group, will stand on a pro-EU platform calling for a second referendum.
The party claims to have had more than 3,700 applications from people wanting to stand as Change UK candidates in the March 23 poll and it has begun the process of shortlisting and interviewing potential MEPs.
Some 70 candidates will be fielded by the party after it completed the registration process with the Electoral Commission.
Change UK's interim leader Heidi Allen said: 'This is a fight for Britain's voice in Europe - and we have been overwhelmed by the thousands of people wanting to roll up their sleeves and join our campaign from every walk of life and every corner of the country.
You may also want to watch:
'Change UK - The Independent Group have a clear message in the European elections: we demand a People's Vote and, if it is held, all our MPs will campaign to remain in and reform the European Union.'
She pleaded for donations to a 'fighting fund' to allow Change UK to challenge the established parties.
- 1 A view from inside the Heathrow petri dish
- 2 Could Mexican Coke spark a new Coca-Cola cold war?
- 3 The reverse Midas touch of Michael Gove
- 4 Why can't the English see what the Scots and Welsh can?
- 5 Is the end finally nigh for EU's most notorious leader?
- 6 First black female mayor elected in Liverpool as Labour holds on to role
- 7 Nicola Sturgeon concedes Holyrood majority for SNP is a ‘very long shot’
- 8 Labour claims ‘extraordinary results’ in Welsh Parliament election
- 9 Dominic Raab 'chickened out' of a no-deal Brexit, Michel Barnier says
- 10 Scotland ‘united against the fascists’ after far-right candidates rejected
'We are David, and they are Goliath - but we can do this together,' she said.
The party will launch its election campaign on April 23.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.