Pro-Brexit group’s attempt to discredit Article 50 petition backfires
- Credit: PA
A group of Brexiteers have failed in a bid to discredit support for stopping Brexit. .
The group Britain Bites Back ran a Facebook poll asking followers to reveal how they would vote if there is a new EU referendum.
Let's prove how pointless that petition really is,' wrote the group, referencing the Revoke Article 50 petition which now has six million signatures. But like Brexit itself, things did not go to plan, when the groups followers lost control of the process.
More than 165,000 people voted with at least 85% of voters backing remaining in the European Union.
'TEGAN DELETE THIS!!' panicked one in the comments.
You may also want to watch:
Another said: 'This is gold. The people of Britain were sold a scam and they are smart enough to know they were wrong and want to change their minds. Good for them.'
A third added: 'Good to see another page supporting the Remain campaign.'
- 1 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 2 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 3 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 4 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 5 ERG MP says Boris Johnson should consider cutting ties with Church of England following Brexit row
- 6 Leaked memo exposes government fears over rise in support for Scottish independence
- 7 Diane Abbott accuses Keir Starmer of having 'other motives' while shadow Brexit secretary
- 8 UK Business leaders describe Brexit call with Boris Johnson and Michael Gove as 'pointless'
- 9 Fool's gold? Nigel Farage wants you to invest your trust in his financial advice service
- 10 PMQs Review: The one where it was grim up north
Tegan, however, appeared conflicted by the example of democracy in action.
MORE: You had one job! Brexit protesters plaster Parliament Square with upside down flagsMORE: Will Self - The story behind my stand-off with Mark Francois'Leave us in peace . We are a democratic page and demand only fair comments. 'Please do not join or share our page if you are a hacker.'
Without a hint of irony, the Brexiteers then launched a second vote.
The post said: 'As our previous poll was hijacked we have deleted it and will ask for page members ONLY to respond thank you. If there was another national vote which would you choose?'
Another 88% went on to vote for the Remain option.
The group later responded to the latest result by saying: 'You idiots will realise that democrasy [sic] has spoken and there are 17 million of us. We are leaving Europe and there's nothing you can do about it lol.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.