Letters: Why does the BBC keep rolling out the ‘Dismissers’?
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
One reader has started defining the Brexiteers that the BBC and mainstream media continues to roll out as the 'Dismissers'.
I wrote to the BBC, almost daily, during the Referendum of June 2016 complaining of their bias. Then, as now, the Remainer argument is put forward first, to be followed by some standby Brexiteer who simply dismisses it with some glib remark – my wife and I coined the term for them 'The Dismissers'.
A recent Today programme was again most frustrating as I heard comments such as: the '40-odd percent of the people who voted to Remain' and 'the EU puts up barriers to stop members trading with non-EU Countries'. And, of course, as a precursor to Jeremy Corbyn's big speech they pulled out of the woodwork some Labour Brexiteers who negated the points they expected Corbyn to make.
Nick Cole, Bude
You may also want to watch:
A few days ago I heard John Humphreys on Radio 4's Today programme talk about the European Parliament 'spewing out' regulations. I wonder what the reaction would have been had he used such a pejorative expression to describe the legislation coming out of the Palace of Westminster?
Peter Martin, Strathconon
- 1 Nigel Farage loses nearly 50,000 followers after Twitter suspends QAnon accounts
- 2 Progressive alliance could see Labour win 351 seats at next election, new analysis reveals
- 3 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 4 What Auf Wiedersehen, Pet teaches us about Britain and Europe
- 5 Fifteen ways to fix Britain
- 6 Michel Barnier tells UK to be 'very careful' in Brexit diplomatic status row
- 7 The rocky road to Rejoin
- 8 ‘Don’t haste ye back’ - Nicola Sturgeon's perfect farewell message to Donald Trump
- 9 The polling that signals the plight of the Union
- 10 Brexiteer says he'd never have voted for Brexit 'if we knew we'd lose our jobs'
• Got something to get off your chest? Send your letters for publication to firstname.lastname@example.org
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.