In face of Putin’s aggression May needs friends
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
It is no secret that Russia attempted to influence the outcome of Brexit.
The same is likely true of the US election. And now Moscow is the prime suspect in a targeted hit on British soil.
Apart from booting out some Russians and sending them packing back to Moscow what can Theresa May do? She needs friends. But she has none.
In the old days a quick call to Washington would have at least ended with some reassurances of support. Alas, no longer. And our European friends? Well we don't really have any these days do we?
This is what isolationism feels like – isn't it grand? And of course Brexit will make this an even starker reality.
You may also want to watch:
As it stands we are a regional power – let us not pretend we are anything else. And without the cover of the European Union and the security blanket of the US, people like Vladimir Putin see dear old Blighty as a perfect target for bullying.
Leaving the EU will diminish us globally rather than turn back the clock to the days of Empire which is what so many of the Brexiteers seem to be dreaming of.
- 1 Why there is no German Bullingdon Club
- 2 Bailout too late for Rishi Sunak's wife
- 3 Peter Vaughan: Octogenarian actor in the prime of his life
- 4 Boris Johnson consumed by infighting as Brexit job losses worsen
- 5 The EU's quiet coup in Gibraltar
- 6 Could Mexican Coke spark a new Coca-Cola cold war?
- 7 Dalida: A life ground down by tragedy
- 8 The German mega-scandal that puts ours in the shade
- 9 A side to Julio Iglesias nobody should have to see
- 10 PM can't be expected to ‘live in a skip’, says Michael Gove’s wife
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.