Corbyn accused of giving PM a ‘lifeline’ with new Brexit talks
- Credit: Archant
The leader of the opposition and the prime minister have met to discuss a new Brexit bill timetable.
The meeting was arranged after a vote in the House of Commons saw the programme motion for Boris Johnson's Brexit bill defeated by MPs.
Following the meeting, a Labour party spokesman said: "Jeremy Corbyn reiterated Labour's offer to the prime minister to agree a reasonable timetable to debate, scrutinise and amend the Withdrawal Agreement Bill, and restated that Labour will support a general election when the threat of a no-deal crashout is off the table."
The BBC's Laura Kuenssberg tweeted that "nothing was agreed" at the meeting.
She reported "Labour wanted to discuss a different timetable for Brexit bill" while the government wanted to know what Labour would do "if the extension is vetoed".
You may also want to watch:
Jo Swinson said that Jeremy Corbyn was offering Boris Johnson a "lifeline" on Brexit where he should be doing what he can to oppose it.
She said: "This is yet more clear proof that Jeremy Corbyn wants to deliver Brexit. Yesterday Boris Johnson's deal passed because 19 Labour MPs walked through the lobby to vote for a Brexit deal that would be bad for our NHS, bad for our economy and bad for our environment.
- 1 Government scraps Pick for Britain programme after Brits fill as few as 5% of roles
- 2 Boris Johnson still has questions to answer about Caribbean holiday
- 3 Poll: Laurence Fox in joint last place with Count Binface in race for London mayor
- 4 Ex-minister says Boris Johnson's government is a 'cesspit' where 'almost nobody' tells the truth
- 5 James Dyson moves main address back to the UK
- 6 Russell Kane: Why working class people like Boris Johnson
- 7 Government to dissolve parliament ahead of Queen’s Speech
- 8 Salmon industry insist officials miscalculated post-Brexit export figures
- 9 Brexit regret: Meet the Leave voters who wish they hadn't voted Leave
- 10 Keir Starmer's day will come
"It seems that Jeremy Corbyn has thrown Boris Johnson another lifeline this morning, as six white men met to discuss pushing through a Brexit deal which will wreck our country.
"Jeremy Corbyn is a Brexiteer, and Remainers won't forget if a shady backroom deal between Johnson and Corbyn helps to deliver Brexit."
It follows reports in The Sun that the opposition leader is said to have told Labour MPs they "cannot afford to turn down another election request".
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.