The Brexit Party bans Channel 4 News from events after party funding expose
- Credit: Channel 4
The Brexit Party has banned Channel 4 News from its events for six weeks, according to the broadcaster.
Channel 4 News' editor Ben de Pear said in a tweet that they hoped to resolve the ban as soon as possible.
He said they had had full access, including to Nigel Farage himself, prior to the broadcasting of a Channel 4 investigation into Farage's funding.
The investigation revealed that Farage is being bankrolled with £450,000 of Arron Banks' money.
Labour MP Kate Hoey agreed with a ban, tweeting that it sounded like a "sensible decision" because Channel 4 "never ever has said anything positive about leaving the EU".
You may also want to watch:
Columnist Marina Hyde called for other broadcasters to decline any coverage of The Brexit Party until Channel 4's access is assured. "This is just Trump bullshit and should be resisted," she said.
Twitter user James Melville has had 18,000 retweets to his comment saying: "Please retweet if you think that other broadcasters should now boycott events hosted by The Brexit Party in solidarity with @Channel4News."
- 1 The Spanish village with the mythical blue lagoon
- 2 Empty shelves are partly down to Brexit - but Leavers won't admit it
- 3 Rabbits defeat French army
- 4 Party politics will not save us from the Tories - we need drastic action
- 5 Would Javid have renamed ICU wards 'Drama Queen Zones'?
- 6 Has something shifted in sado-populist Britain?
- 7 Ed Vaizey overtakes Paul Dacre in the Ofcom race
- 8 Priti Patel - the poster girl for our poisonous politics
- 9 Boris Johnson: The sado-populist prime minister
- 10 Cost of Brexit is already 38 times more than the money set aside for levelling up
It is not the only instance of media being banned from party political events.
In 2014, security staff at a UKIP conference event tried to eject journalists fronm a fringe event about Sharia Law, according to the Telegraph.
UKIP later apologised, said the Telegraph, saying it was a mix-up.
The New European has contacted The Brexit Party for comment.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.