‘Secret Millionaire’ is Brexit Party’s by-election candidate
- Credit: PA
Nigel Farage's Brexit Party has announced its candidate for the forthcoming Peterborough by-election - and it's a former businessman who has appeared on The Secret Millionaire.
Mike Green will stand for Nigel Farage's new party in its first shot at a seat in Westminster after the leader claimed he was "too busy" to stand for an eighth time to try to win a seat in the House of Commons.
The by-election will find a replacement for MP Fiona Onasanya who lost her seat through a recall petition after serving time in prison for lying about a speeding offence.
Onasanya, who was elected as a Labour MP in 2017, said she will not stand in the by-election.
reene wrote on Twitter: "I am proud to be taking on the challenge of standing for the Brexit Party and rebuilding trust in democracy."
You may also want to watch:
George Galloway, who last week announced that he would be standing, has withdrawn from the contest after the Brexit Party named its candidate.
He said he had "tried to persuade" Farage to support his candidacy to "emphasise the broad democratic alliance the campaign must be and balance the candidatures of" Ann Widdecombe and Annunziata Rees-Mogg.
- 1 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 2 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 3 Government told to publish impact assessments for Boris Johnson's 'Narnia' deal with EU
- 4 Brexiteer admits 'Australia-style deal' term designed to 'pull wool over voters' eyes'
- 5 Remainers blamed for Boris Johnson's inability to secure Brexit deal
- 6 Theresa May brands Michael Gove's no-deal Brexit statement 'utter rubbish'
- 7 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 8 ERG MP says Boris Johnson should consider cutting ties with Church of England following Brexit row
- 9 Boris Johnson told to apologise for incompetence in delivering his 'oven-ready' Brexit deal
- 10 Labour MP calls Dan Wootton a 'complete and utter nutcase' following Covid-19 herd immunity comment
Candidates announced so far include Lisa Forbes for Labour, Paul Bristow for the Conservatives, Beki Sellick for the Lib Dems, Joseph Wells for the Greens, John Whitby for UKIP, Patrick O'Flynn for the SDP and Alan 'Howling Laud' Hope for the Monster Raving Loony Party.
It had been claimed that there could be a single Remain unity candidate representing Change UK, the Lib Dems and Greens - but a decision would need to be made by Thursday for this to happen.
The Conservatives lost Peterborough City Council to no overall control in last week's local elections after three years in charge of the consistently marginal authority.
Labour remain the second largest group on the council with 17 seats, followed by the Lib Dems with nine.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.