Farage claims he’s in talks with Tory donors for Brexit Party general election
- Credit: PA
Nigel Farage said the Brexit Party is in talks with Conservative donors for potential backing in a general election campaign.
He told a press conference in London that the party is beginning the process of recruiting 650 general election candidates.
'There are now a few much bigger donors - traditionally to the Conservative party - who we are now in conversation with,' said Farage.
'They understand and realise that to fight a general election seriously we're going to need big bucks.'
He claimed formerly loyal Tory donors were 'asking themselves the question 'what is the Conservative party for, what purpose does it actually serve?''.
You may also want to watch:
Farage has emphasised that a large part of the party's funding has come from small donations, but has repeatedly refused to name an individual donor of £100,000 until after the EU elections.
READ: Nigel Farage says identity of Brexit Party's £100K donor is 'irrelevant'The Brexit Party has not yet responded to a request to identify the potential Tory donors.
The party is currently selecting a candidate for an upcoming Peterborough by-election out of a shortlist of three.
- 1 Who's on the BBC's Question Time tonight?
- 2 More approve of EU leadership than Boris Johnson's premiership, poll finds
- 3 MANDRAKE: Chilling news for Telegraph bosses
- 4 Tory minister's claim over free school meals funding gets quickly debunked
- 5 Minister self-isolates just a day after being spotted flouting mask rules
- 6 Tory MP blames 'chaotic parents' for children going to school hungry
- 7 Questions over Nigel Farage's quarantine status as he appears on stage with Donald Trump at rally
- 8 Liz Truss to deliver speech rejecting 'Britain First' strategy ahead of US election
- 9 Pret a Manger founder against lockdown because it will only 'save a few thousand lives'
- 10 Viktor Orban has eyes on a Brexit opportunity
'These European elections on May 23 are but a first step,' said Farage.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.